Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » Creating MAT Plugin guidance
Creating MAT Plugin guidance [message #1834107] Mon, 02 November 2020 18:07 Go to next message
Richard Olson is currently offline Richard OlsonFriend
Good afternoon,

I'm seeking guidance to generate a MAT plugin I can provide other users. I've currently written a MAT Heapdump Analyzer and struggling to package and deploy.

I'm running MAT 1.10 and created a Plugin project based on suggestions found here - https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/2045/

The DemoQuery works after specifying a @CATEGORY and @COMMAND plus an Extension. I can execute the query when an Eclipse launches MAT.

Next tried following the Export instructions found in the Plugin-Manifest Overview tab under Exporting. I see my jar file in MATHOME/plugins. Next, restart MAT and I don't see my CATEGORY.

Do I need to deploy the plugin to a P2 site? If yes, do you have current instructions? The web's littered with old information creating confusion.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Creating MAT Plugin guidance [message #1834115 is a reply to message #1834107] Mon, 02 November 2020 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Johnson is currently offline Andrew JohnsonFriend
You have done most of the work by getting a plugin to work with MAT under Eclipse.
Another source of information about writing MAT queries is MAT wiki.

Creating a p2 update site is the way to make a plugin easily installable by others. I haven't created a new one but export > deployable plugins and fragments > Install into host. Repository seems to create a p2 site in a directory, which might work from Memory Analyzer Help > Install New Software > Add > Local

The dropins folder could work too, but it has been a while since I have done that.

Re: Creating MAT Plugin guidance [message #1834124 is a reply to message #1834115] Tue, 03 November 2020 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Andrew! I work with the suggestions and update the topic with my results.
Re: Creating MAT Plugin guidance [message #1834248 is a reply to message #1834124] Thu, 05 November 2020 18:56 Go to previous message
good afternoon,

I just wanted to provide brief update.

Basically, following a few of Andrews suggestions I successfully deployed my MAT plugin.
- created a Feature referencing my plugin
- created an Update Site via the Feature's Overview screen and ran BuildAll. BuildAll adds a site.xml, content.jar, artifacts. jar plus folders contains a features and plugin jar files.
- Opened MAT > Help>Install new software adding a site definition. The site points to the folder containing feature and plugin jars
- Once the installation successfully completed restarted MAT per the panel's request and accessed my plugin.

I'm still working on other issues including writing my Readme, refactoring some code, etc. However, thrilled I'm beginning to see real success.

I hope the brief details help the next person.

Rich Olson
Previous Topic:Web UI for Memory Analyzer
Next Topic:Problems with getting reports running remotely
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:21:47 GMT 2024