Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Logging Help(Unsure of how to implement my own logging system.)
Logging Help [message #1830963] Fri, 07 August 2020 12:35 Go to next message
James Garringer is currently offline James GarringerFriend
Hi all,

I'm currently looking into configuring Scout to create log files when events of certain severity or higher occur. I wrote a logger that extends the JUL logger but for the life of me I can't seem to find a way to tell Scout to use that logger instead of the ScoutLogger that comes prepackaged. I've been reading through a lot of posts and different resources in the Scout documentation but it didn't help very much. Is there a clear way to do this?

The only reason I wrote my own class is because I couldn't find a way in the documentation to alter the behavior of ScoutLogger so if there is a way to do that so I can get log files written I would be content with that as well.

Thanks for any help you give!
Re: Logging Help [message #1830967 is a reply to message #1830963] Fri, 07 August 2020 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arthur van Dorp is currently offline Arthur van DorpFriend
Hi James,

It shouldn't be necessary to write your own logger class. ScoutLogger can log to any logging framework. For some frameworks logging bridges are already available. By default (e.g. in the Helloworld archetype) logback is used. In your project you should find logback.xml files defining how logging takes place. Look at <myproject>.server.app.dev/src/main/resources/logback.xml for a logging configuration which logs to STDOUT and STDERR and at <myproject>.server.app.war/src/main/resources/logback.xml for an configuration which logs to a file (in this case inside the logs folder of a tomcat installation).
Re: Logging Help [message #1831196 is a reply to message #1830967] Thu, 13 August 2020 11:38 Go to previous message
James Garringer is currently offline James GarringerFriend
Just wanted to come back and say thank you for the response! It was exactly what I needed, you set me on the right track.
Previous Topic:Custom alert window when clicking on menus
Next Topic:Strange Visuell Bug
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:39:43 GMT 2024