Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Single class, multiple lines in XML represenation.
Single class, multiple lines in XML represenation. [message #1830798] Tue, 04 August 2020 08:31 Go to next message
Max Jordan is currently offline Max JordanFriend
So in my model I have some metadata that needs to be on multiple lines. The class is called name (which can be a child of itself) and the structure in a model might look something like this (without the numbers)

(1)
Name Key = "Description" Value = "..."
Name Key = "Project" Value = "..."
Name Key = "Author" Value = "..."
(2)
Name Key = "History"
Name Key = "Version" Value = "..."
Name Key = "Date" Value = "..."

This obviously takes up 6 lines in the XML representation of my model.

I'm wondering if its possible to instead of having multiple children just have some Metadata class, that has all the above Key's as attributes, and would produce the same XML representation.

For example

Metadata Description = "..." Project = "..." Date = "..."

or instead if its not possible to capture the nesting behaviour with a single class, instead have a class for (1) and a class for (2) like

Metadata Description = "..." Project = "..."
History Version = "..." Date = "..."

Thanks
Re: Single class, multiple lines in XML represenation. [message #1830834 is a reply to message #1830798] Wed, 05 August 2020 03:48 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The short answer is no. In general, the names of elements and attributes in the XML serialization correspond to the names of features (references and attributes) in the Ecore model. They do not ever correspond to the value of any instance data.

The long answer is, anything is possible if you specialize the serialization and deserialization yourself. Certainly XML Schema has the concept of an attribute wildcard and this maps to an EAttribute of type FeatureMap in the Ecore model. But that's a complex API to use...

Given you've not actually described your model in enough detail that I know what (1) and (2) correspond to, it's hard to say much of anything concrete. In any case, nesting in the serialization only comes from containment references in the model.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:[CDO] Cleanup of non-referenced blobs
Next Topic:ECoreUtil.resolveAll on multi-file ecore meta-model results in "unresolved proxy" errors.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:02:00 GMT 2024