Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How do I install a bare bones Eclipse the first time?(What are the personal consequences of manually loading Projects?)
How do I install a bare bones Eclipse the first time? [message #1830735] Sun, 02 August 2020 03:35 Go to next message
John Sellers is currently offline John SellersFriend
I've loaded Eclipse to a virtual disk successfully 2 or 3 times, but discarded them to start from scratch again because I wasn't happy with where I ended up.

The first time I accepted the latest install forcing me into installing substantial projects... which drove me up the wall because I din't have the time or effort to figure out what I was doing. IN the first place, I didn't want any of this kind of stuff so early in my first explorations.

I then added a simple package and because I was so green I couldn't even find it among all the other junk.

so I closed all the windows and that left me staring at an interface without the slightest idea what to do next. The projects were still hovering undercover and I had no idea if I could get rid of them or not.

[b]I just wanted the simplest first time experience, and because the doubts my failure raised I decided to go all the way through with a few different SIMPLE flavors so I can evaluate how Eclipse really works out.... or not.[\b]

So I picked out a few simpler projects of different stripes to see how they worked with bash scripts and see what turns up.

They are:

ShellWax
Bash Editor
LiClipse
LiClipseText

So as a Newbie this brings up several questions:

From a Newbie perspective:

0) How do I load the IDE with an .EXE without it forcing me to install a lot of Project stuff. Is there any basic general generic Projects that I should load at that point?

1) Are things either segregated or integrated enough that I won't have trouble if I start with an basically Eclipse IDE and add all of my simple apps? Will they tend to work together or conflict?

or do I need separate installations or other ways of segregating these Projects?

Before thinking these questions are out of place, realize there is no way for me to know the answer these when just walking in the door. I've been retired for 15 years

Take pity on me as I have not talked face to face with another engineer about stuff like this in 20 years. 90% of what is out there didn't exist or was just getting off the ground when I retired.

(I have a IBM PC manual on my book shelf that tells me how to install an 8 K board in a PC of the time.)
Re: How do I install a bare bones Eclipse the first time? [message #1830738 is a reply to message #1830735] Sun, 02 August 2020 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Have you been using the installer or just downloading packages? Of course most of the focus is on providing packaged installations that have a combination of features installed useful for a specific purpose. If you don't have a specific purpose in mind that's more challenging.

The installer you download from the main download site:

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

is a "restricted" installer than only shows choices of the same packages you can get from here:

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/

It doesn't give you a choice of which version of Eclipse to install but currently installs only 2020-06 packages. None of those are "bare bones".

The installers from here:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Installer

are "unrestricted". They provide more product choices and allow you to choose which version of that product to install. One of those choices is:
Eclipse Platform   

This package contains the absolute minimal IDE, suitable only as a base for installing other tools
This is the smallest possible installation; but is effectively useless unless you install other features. Perhaps that will suit your exploration process.

Generally you should be able to install things in combination and they should minimally not interfere with each other.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: How do I install a bare bones Eclipse the first time? [message #1830887 is a reply to message #1830738] Wed, 05 August 2020 23:08 Go to previous message
John Sellers is currently offline John SellersFriend
Thanks, I've got it figured out now.
Previous Topic:Cannot Find USB Blaster
Next Topic:Eclipse swt text as password field expose password in dump file.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:35:27 GMT 2024