Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » CDT 2020-06 - 2 strange problems on Fedora 32(C++ editor code completion not available and gdb crash on entering range-for loops)
CDT 2020-06 - 2 strange problems on Fedora 32 [message #1830731] Sat, 01 August 2020 21:57 Go to next message
Mike Thompson is currently offline Mike ThompsonFriend
I've been struggling with 2 problems since upgrading to Eclipse CDT 202-06 on Fedora 32; I can't find any references to similar problems either here or at the Fedora forum.
Problem 1: I can't get code completion to work in any C++ source files either automatically after typing "." or "->" or with Ctrl-Space - all I get is "no default proposals" in the list. The indexer appears to be working fine, when I type in a library function for example, the colour coding is correct. The Windows-Preferences-C++-Editor-Code completion boxes are all checked as they should be and the project has no project-specific editor settings. I have no clue as to what's missing.
Problem 2: when debugging C++ code in the Debug perspective, it steps happily through the code until a range-for statement (eg "for (auto x : xs) {...}") - it hangs for a second or two then terminates with -1 on exit. If I set a breakpoint at the first statement inside the range-for block and run to there then no problem. Similarly, if I replace the range-for with a for-loop using standard iterators, there is again no problem. I'm using gdb version 9.1-5 and gcc version 10.2.1 (the current packages for the Fedora 32 Workstation distro).
Hopefully I'm missing something obvious, but I know that there have been a few issues with Eclipse in Fedora since Fedora 31.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Re: CDT 2020-06 - 2 strange problems on Fedora 32 [message #1830788 is a reply to message #1830731] Tue, 04 August 2020 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Problem (2) sounds like an old bug or perhaps a different manifestation of it
https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=23953
You might get a better response at the gdb Bugzilla.
It's doubtful that CDT has anything to do with it.

Re: CDT 2020-06 - 2 strange problems on Fedora 32 [message #1830826 is a reply to message #1830788] Tue, 04 August 2020 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Thompson is currently offline Mike ThompsonFriend
Thanks, David, I'll explore the gdb angle further, although bug you referenced with intialised and incremented iterators in a for-loop doesn't crash (that's what I've used as a workaround) - it's only in the range-for loop that I get the bug.
Mike
Re: CDT 2020-06 - 2 strange problems on Fedora 32 [message #1830832 is a reply to message #1830826] Wed, 05 August 2020 02:55 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
What happens when you use gdb manually?
What about GNU's DDD?

CDT uses gbd MI which isn't much different than manual commanding.
If it is failing it would seem to be failing in a way similar to the linked bug.

Previous Topic:Eclipse CDT Python PyDev plug-in - where to enable icons ?
Next Topic:Is there a way to see suggestions as i write code?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:12:05 GMT 2024