Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Automate manual steps with Oomph
Automate manual steps with Oomph [message #1830589] Wed, 29 July 2020 13:21 Go to next message
Peter Peter is currently offline Peter PeterFriend
Hi guys,

I want to automate the manual steps while opening existing projects of custom RCP based application. I found this Ommph tool and based on description of this tool I was so impressed that with Oomph I should be able to achieve all goals from manual setup of project.
But realy the documentation is lacking and the Oomph designer is not self explaining so I don't know how and what is possible to do there :( So, could you please provide some good documention?

Basically I want to achieve the following steps by Oomph:

1. Import eclipse preferences (based on user selected file)
2. Setup installed JRE
3. Setup the Maven installation
4. Setup the Maven user profile (based on user selected file)
5. Import existing maven project (based on user selected folder where are the source codes located)
6. Set the Target platform (based on user selected file *.target)
7. perform "Add All Plugins to Java Search"
8. Import launch configuration (based on user selected file)
9. Based on user inputs (he will populate some inputs for example connection to DB or plugin customization information) modify the configuration files of project
10. Perform Maven clean install

Could you please answer if this is possible to do with Oomph setup? If yes, then please could you sketch the rought structure how the Oomp setup should looks like?
I have many questions about Oomph which the official documentation is not explaining, I would like if somebody have time to answer them like basic question:

Can I create a Oomph setup which will not install the Eclipse? Like I want to have only one Eclipse installation and just open the project (throught Oomph setup). For that purpose is "Project Model" setup? Or do I need a "Product Model" setup?

Thanks for every advice,
Peter

[Updated on: Wed, 29 July 2020 14:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Automate manual steps with Oomph [message #1830629 is a reply to message #1830589] Thu, 30 July 2020 06:34 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Peter Peter wrote on Wed, 29 July 2020 15:21
Hi guys,

I want to automate the manual steps while opening existing projects of custom RCP based application. I found this Ommph tool and based on description of this tool I was so impressed that with Oomph I should be able to achieve all goals from manual setup of project.
But realy the documentation is lacking and the Oomph designer is not self explaining so I don't know how and what is possible to do there :( So, could you please provide some good documention?

Whether the documentation is good or not is quite subjective. Certainly there is much room for improvement. But no one pays a penny for that...

Quote:

Basically I want to achieve the following steps by Oomph:

1. Import eclipse preferences (based on user selected file)

There are Preference tasks for this purpose. There are several toolbar buttons in the Setup editor to help authoring these, i.e., Record Preferences, Capture Preferences, and Import Preferences.

Quote:

2. Setup installed JRE

There is a JRE task for this.

Quote:

3. Setup the Maven installation

There are quite a few project setups in the catalog that use Maven (m2e).
Part of the setup involves installing the desired/require m2 features.

Quote:

4. Setup the Maven user profile (based on user selected file)

I'm not sure what's involved in setting up a "Maven user profile".
Several general tasks such as Resource Creation, Resource Copy, and Text Modify might be helpful.

Quote:

5. Import existing maven project (based on user selected folder where are the source codes located)

There is a Maven Import task for this.

Quote:

6. Set the Target platform (based on user selected file *.target)

There is a Target Platform task for this.

Quote:

7. perform "Add All Plugins to Java Search"

There is currently no task to invoke a command.

Quote:

8. Import launch configuration (based on user selected file)

Typically launch configurations can be stored in a workspace project so can be made available that way.
It's also possible to create a launch configuration. E.g.,
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<setup:ResourceCreationTask
    xmi:version="2.0"
    xmlns:xmi="http://www.omg.org/XMI"
    xmlns:setup="http://www.eclipse.org/oomph/setup/1.0"
    targetURL="${workspace.location|uri}/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.debug.core/.launches/Runtime%20Workspace.launch"
    encoding="UTF-8">
  <content>
   The xml of a launch configuration...

</content>
</setup:ResourceCreationTask>

Quote:

9. Based on user inputs (he will populate some inputs for example connection to DB or plugin customization information) modify the configuration files of project

I'm not sure which specific configuration files. Often it's useful to define String Substitutions that are used in the Launch Configurations and use a String Substitution task to populate those.

Quote:

10. Perform Maven clean install

This is launching a launch configuration which to does that I assume? There is a Launch task for that.

Quote:

Could you please answer if this is possible to do with Oomph setup? If yes, then please could you sketch the rought structure how the Oomp setup should looks like?

I believe this is all possible. There are many other project setups you can look at for guidance. You can use Navigate -> Open Setup -> Parent Models -> Eclipse Projects to see how the 5 dozen other project setups are authored. The project setup for Tycho probably does much of what you want to do.

Quote:

I have many questions about Oomph which the official documentation is not explaining, I would like if somebody have time to answer them like basic question:

Keep in mind that no one pays anyone for anything. Based on this nothingness, I can't even buy a dry crumb of bread...

Quote:

Can I create a Oomph setup which will not install the Eclipse? Like I want to have only one Eclipse installation and just open the project (throught Oomph setup). For that purpose is "Project Model" setup? Or do I need a "Product Model" setup?

Yes, you can import a Project Setup into an existing installation via File -> Import -> Oomph -> Projects from Catalog. But my sense is that you firstly want to ensure that you can create everything from scratch, including the installation. After all, part of what you seem to want is to install the required things in the installation.

Start with something very simple. Once the IDE with your Project setup is launched, you can use Navigate -> Open Setup -> <your-project-setup> to open your Project setup and refine it further. Then you can use Help -> Perform Setup tasks to perform the updated tasks. Note it's useful to use Window -> Preferences -> Oomph -> Setup Tasks and enable "Show toolbar contributions". The the toolbar will have helpful buttons for "Perform Setup Tasks..." and for "Open...".

Quote:

Thanks for every advice,
Peter

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Citrix for Eclipse for multiple user's
Next Topic:install my own eclipse IDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:34:28 GMT 2024