Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » org.eclipse.swt.ole.win32.OleAutomation without GUI(can you use org.eclipse.swt.ole.win32.OleAutomation without displaying?)
org.eclipse.swt.ole.win32.OleAutomation without GUI [message #1829826] Sat, 11 July 2020 16:07
Alexandru Stetiu is currently offline Alexandru StetiuFriend
Hello, I was advised to post here a message from the Newcomers forum [message #1829798]

I am looking at SWT to replace an older solution to embed Word, Excel docs in the Java application.

But I cannot figure out if possible to use org.eclipse.swt.ole.win32.OleAutomation without displaying the Word for instance.

Can someone give me an answer as I cannot figure out if swt was also created for use cases where the presentation of the document is not needed.

Next are only details of the use case.
----------
The part where users are offered to edit a Word document inside the Java fat client works as with the older solution from Infozoom.

But I would also like to use OleAutomation for instance to apply SaveAs (i.e. to PDF) on a docx file that the user edited before but is not looking at it at the moment.

But I get an error on: SWT_AWT.new_Shell(display, canvas);

In fact the the instantiating is like this:
OleAutomation automation = new OleAutomation( site );
but the instantiating of the Site being
site = new org.eclipse.swt.ole.win32.OleClientSite(
oleFrame, org.eclipse.swt.SWT.NONE,
"Word.Document",new java.io.File(source));

requires an oleFrame.

thank you, Alex
Previous Topic:Hyperlinks do not show correctly with scaling
Next Topic:SWT error on LINUX VDI
Goto Forum: