Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How do you figure out what file Eclipse just renamed?
How do you figure out what file Eclipse just renamed? [message #1829336] Wed, 01 July 2020 14:49 Go to next message
Harley Robertson is currently offline Harley RobertsonFriend
It seems that this is a newer "feature" in Eclipse, but if you rename a file on the left panel (Navigator) but accidentally click on a different file before pressing enter, instead of renaming the file you were in the middle of renaming then it will apply the new name to whatever you just clicked on.

Since this was an accidental clicking, how do you know what the file name was before?

Undo does not undo file renaming, and I haven't been able to find any sort of History that indicates what it did.

I'm sure it ran some sort of command like "rename fileIdon'tWantToRename.ext to WhatIWantToNameADifferentFile.ext" - is there a way to see that?
Re: How do you figure out what file Eclipse just renamed? [message #1829339 is a reply to message #1829336] Wed, 01 July 2020 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Harley Robertson wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 16:49
It seems that this is a newer "feature" in Eclipse

Looks more like a bug that should be reported https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/

Harley Robertson wrote on Wed, 01 July 2020 16:49
if you rename a file on the left panel (Navigator) but accidentally click on a different file before pressing enter, instead of renaming the file you were in the middle of renaming then it will apply the new name to whatever you just clicked on

I can't reproduce the issue on Eclipse 4.16.0, Java & DSL Developers package (Windows 10). It might be related to a specific file type. Could you share specific steps to reproduce the issue? Here is what I tried:

1. Open the Project Exporer view
  2. Create a new project (File > New > Other... > General > Project)
  3. Create a new file (File > New > File) named "foo.txt"
  4. Create a new file (File > New > File) named "bar.txt"
  5. Right-click on the "foo.txt" > Rename > type "otherfoo"
  6. Click on "bar.txt"
  7. "foo.txt" is renamed "otherfoo" as expected

Re: How do you figure out what file Eclipse just renamed? [message #1829341 is a reply to message #1829339] Wed, 01 July 2020 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harley Robertson is currently offline Harley RobertsonFriend
I'm on Version: 2020-03 (4.15.0)
Build id: 20200313-1211

It was a cfm file.

I can try updating it after I figure out what this file was named if it helps to prevent it from happening again.

Your steps sound correct, but the result for me was different. It renamed "????.cfm" to "foo.cfm".

Re: How do you figure out what file Eclipse just renamed? [message #1829353 is a reply to message #1829341] Wed, 01 July 2020 19:16 Go to previous message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Can reproduce the issue on 2020-03. Looks like this bug: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=562448 (fixed in 2020-06)
Previous Topic:How to remove Donate tab?
Next Topic:Java won't let me run hello world
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:53:39 GMT 2024