Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Debugger error in makefile project from existing code(Failed to execute MI command: -exec-run)
Debugger error in makefile project from existing code [message #1828856] Sat, 20 June 2020 05:00 Go to next message
xiaolei cui is currently offline xiaolei cuiFriend
Hi all,
This is an update from the previous post on GDB error. I am using eclipse CPP on Windows7 and 10, with mingw toolchain.
When I try to debug a makefile project (from existing code), I keep getting error message, debugging cannot start:

Error in final launch sequence:
Failed to execute MI command:
-exec-run
Error message from debugger back end:
During startup program exited with code 0xc0000139.

The error code on some computer is 0xc0000135.
Debegging with GDB works well as I create a C project from scratch.
Debugging with GDB shipped with mingw works fine in command line.
So this is unlikely due to missing dll or gdb fault.

Any ideas would be appreciated!! The older versions of Eclipse CPP have the same issue, How to report a bug for eclipse CDT?

thanks.

xiaolei

[Updated on: Sat, 20 June 2020 06:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Debugger error in makefile project from existing code [message #1828858 is a reply to message #1828856] Sat, 20 June 2020 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Error message from eclipse workspace .log file:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb 4 5012 2020-06-20 15:00:42.682
!MESSAGE Error in final launch sequence:

Failed to execute MI command:
-exec-run
During startup program exited with code 0xc0000135.
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Failed to execute MI command:
-exec-run
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.concurrent.Query.get(Query.java:112)
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.launching.GdbLaunchDelegate.launchDebugSession(GdbLaunchDelegate.java:242)
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.launching.GdbLaunchDelegate.launchDebugger(GdbLaunchDelegate.java:106)
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.launching.GdbLaunchDelegate.launch(GdbLaunchDelegate.java:94)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:807)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:718)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin.buildAndLaunch(DebugUIPlugin.java:1021)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$2.run(DebugUIPlugin.java:1224)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: During startup program exited with code 0xc0000135.
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.processMIOutput(AbstractMIControl.java:993)
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.run(AbstractMIControl.java:822)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb 4 10004 2020-06-20 15:00:42.682
!MESSAGE Failed to execute MI command:
-exec-run
!STACK 0
java.lang.Exception: During startup program exited with code 0xc0000135.
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.processMIOutput(AbstractMIControl.java:993)
at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.command.AbstractMIControl$RxThread.run(AbstractMIControl.java:822)
Re: Debugger error in makefile project from existing code [message #1828887 is a reply to message #1828858] Sun, 21 June 2020 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Googling code 0xc0000135 returns missing dll, misconfiguration and files missing.
code 0xc0000139 is similar https://stackoverflow.com/a/41848279/3312726
The result is coming from Windows and GDB is reporting it.
Eclipse is reporting what GDB is reporting. Note the "Error message from debugger back end"

Eclipse is using GDB/MI which is a line based machine oriented text interface to GDB.
IOW: GDB from the command line is not quite the same thing.
https://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/gdb/html_node/gdb_211.html
Re: Debugger error in makefile project from existing code [message #1828891 is a reply to message #1828887] Sun, 21 June 2020 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hello, thanks for the insightful explanation about the debugging failure. I got very frustrated by this problem because the behavior of the debugging failure confused me completely.
1. it will definitely fail if I debug a makefile project from existing code, and I am using a computer that has been installed with plenty of software;
2. it works well if I created an empty-executable C project, so the GDB MI and Eclipse works well together at least for this feature;
3. it works well if I use a newly installed machine, this is how I resolve this problem now.
Thus, I really hope some expert can look into this problem. Eclipse is often used to manage a makefile project from existing code.
Re: Debugger error in makefile project from existing code [message #1828920 is a reply to message #1828891] Mon, 22 June 2020 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
(1) and (3) point toward a configuration problem.
An example would be one that seems common regarding 0xc0000135: the wrong .NET version.
if (3) works but (1) doesn't then comparing the differences seems indicated.

(1) sounds like an over-generalization.
It shouldn't matter who generated the makefile.
However, there could be something in the makefile which is causing the problem.

Regarding (2): not sure what an empty-executable C project is.
One without an executable?
If so, how do you launch anything?

It's not GDB/MI and Eclipse, it's GDB/MI by itself and only when it tries to start the program to be debugged.
To properly locate the cause you need an interface to GDB using MI that is different than Eclipse.

It's doubtful that anyone other than yourself can look into this issue.
How would anyone duplicate it without having your software and system configuration?
Eclipse is executing the program reporting the problem.
It's doubtful that Eclipse is involved in the cause.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 June 2020 12:21]

Re: Debugger error in makefile project from existing code [message #1828927 is a reply to message #1828920] Mon, 22 June 2020 13:43 Go to previous message
Hi David,
let me restate point (2), it is misleading:
it works well if I step through new project - C/C++ - C proejct - executable - empty project (with mingw), and then create a simple project justs to test debugging.
But debugging will fail to start if I create project by stepping through : new project - C/C++ - makefile project with existing code, after importing I just build the project and set the debugging arguments ready. So on the same computer ,using the same IDE, this what really happens.

THanks for the hints, I will check the .net framework version.
One thing I want to mention is that if the debugging feature of Eclipse CPP sometimes functions well , sometimes not, it is probably worth to find the cause the fix it.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 June 2020 02:34]

Previous Topic:[macOS] Cannot complete the install because some dependencies are not satisfiable
Next Topic:problem in building arduino project with stm32 core based target selected
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:13:18 GMT 2024