Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Add custom tool to toolchain(How do I add my own utilities to list of Available Tools in the Tool Chain Editor)
Add custom tool to toolchain [message #1827971] Thu, 28 May 2020 00:16 Go to next message
Denis Collis is currently offline Denis CollisFriend
I have Eclipse CDT with a GNU ARM Toolchain that currently builds an ARM binary executable (firmware), which I then use to program a microprocessor.

There are a number of additional steps that take place outside of Eclipse, which are used to package the firmware image for OTA (Over-The-Air) programming. In particular, utilities to add settings data, signatures, and a header describing the package structure.

These utilities are manually run in a shell. Now I would like to automate the process by adding them to the toolchain, thus integrating them into Eclipse, and giving me a convenient one-click build.

I can see that I am able to add to the toolchain if I navigate to Build > Tool Chain Editor > Select Tools. But how do I add new tools (utilities, above) into the list of 'Available Tools'?
Re: Add custom tool to toolchain [message #1828001 is a reply to message #1827971] Thu, 28 May 2020 21:40 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
Toolchains are only used by a Managed Build project.
Assuming you have a Managed Build project, you could use the post-build step
Project --> Properties --> C/C++ Build --> Settings --> Build Steps tab

If that is insufficient you could write your own Makefile or
write your own toolchain and all of the dialogs associated with it.
Previous Topic:Adding C static library to my project
Next Topic:EXTREME slowness with CDT editor / indexer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 13:46:38 GMT 2024