Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » JDT content assist frustration
JDT content assist frustration [message #1827918] Wed, 27 May 2020 00:33 Go to next message
Ken Keefe is currently offline Ken KeefeFriend
I'm using Eclipse IDE 2020-03 for java development. I am running into a frustration with the content assist feature. The default suggestion that the editor is making is often annoyingly wrong and difficult to avoid.

As a simple example, in one of my methods, I type:

Arrays.sort

At this point, the content assist is offering parallelSort(byte[] a) as the top choice. If I hit '(', thinking my text will now say Arrays.sort(, it changes it to Arrays.parallelSort(a);

This sort of thing happens many times in many situations. It is especially frustrating when I am not looking at the code as I type it, but looking at a reference doc or code sample. The code I think I typed is very different from what is actually in the editor.

Are there some settings I can change to tell Eclipse to trust what I type by default?

Re: JDT content assist frustration [message #1827925 is a reply to message #1827918] Wed, 27 May 2020 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kalyan Prasad Tatavarthi is currently offline Kalyan Prasad TatavarthiFriend
In Eclipse Preference page Java > Editor > Content Assist , there is a preference
"Sort proposals" , the options are 1) alphabetically 2) by relevance.

The default value is "by relevance". The above behavior will be shown if the preference is set to "alphabetically". Please change this value to "by relevance" and save the preference changes. Then the expected right behavior will be seen.
Re: JDT content assist frustration [message #1827945 is a reply to message #1827925] Wed, 27 May 2020 11:17 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
The problem also occurs when "Java Proposals (Task-Focused)" is enabled instead of "Java Proposals".
Previous Topic:Eclipse m2e plugin issue for cyclic dependent projects
Next Topic:Eclipse Not visible to other users on Machine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:01:34 GMT 2024