Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Feature request(references identifier)
Feature request [message #1827296] Tue, 12 May 2020 14:08 Go to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend

References in identifiers[ 0 votes ]
1.Yes, I would appreciate that feature 0 / 0%
2.No, that will only confuse me 0 / 0%

I would like to request a new feature.

Element names should be enabled to reference any number of identifiers as part of the name.

An Example

uml::Package: Role1
uml::Actor: Actor-{uid of Role1}
uml::Package: Assumptions -- Actor -- {uid of Role1}

In the above case, {uid of Role1} shall be evaluated to Role1. In the case you rename the package Role1 to FeatureRequester, then {uid of Role1} shall evaluate to FeatureRequester.

/Carsten

PS The reference mechanism available with comments might be adapted to implement that feature. Most likely the existing implemtation is not aware of recursion.
Re: Feature request [message #1827300 is a reply to message #1827296] Tue, 12 May 2020 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
HI

This is obviously something that you consider important, so important that you fail to present it in a way that makes sense to others. What is a uid? Is it any relation to a UUID and where are the semantics for uid re-use/sharing? Your hope that a rename might preserve something seems to have some commonality with the LUSSIDs Locally Unique Semantically Sensitive Identifiers that I use to enable one OCL AS persistence to reference another without reading it. These are tolerant of some refactorings but name refactoring is seriously challenging. The use cases I am familiar with suggest that a clear requirement use case needs to be formulated and the proposed solution needs to be very carefully assessed to see if it satisfies that requirement without many false positives / false negatives.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Feature request [message #1827311 is a reply to message #1827300] Tue, 12 May 2020 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be. I have a damn lot of customers, that in the end want the design printed on paper. Three bunches of paper then after successful review are manually signed by three or more people page for page. Two bunches get archived in specially air conditioned archives with at least 200km distance in between. One is the presence copy.

And in the case the official reference is printed paper, naming conventions help a lot.

/Carsten
Re: Feature request [message #1827328 is a reply to message #1827311] Wed, 13 May 2020 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yoann Farré is currently offline Yoann FarréFriend
Hello,

I agree that it can be very useful.

I agree with Ed that renaming refactoring can be seriously challenging. With the purpose to make it easier, I proposed a similar feature previously, not for the names but for the text contents (like in Opaque Behavior or Opaque Expression) : Bug 549877
It is not exactly the same feature but I think they can be evaluated together, that's why I share the link.

Regards.
Yoann.

EDIT : My vote can not be taken into account. I don't know why.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 May 2020 07:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Feature request [message #1827333 is a reply to message #1827328] Wed, 13 May 2020 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,
Hi Yoann,

I have not stated implementation will be trivial. In German we tend to say the rhyme: "Rekursiv geht meistens schief.". Translated it means: recursion is error prone.

Furthermore an, at creation time resolvable reference can become unresolvable during lifetime due to a referenced element has been renamed in way causing a cyclic dependency. Or even simpler if a referenced element is deleted. I am fully aware of this. In the case a reference becomes unresolvable, I would expect a message stating what has happened and that the reference does not get resolved until it becomes resolvable again. Does not get resolved simply means the "{uid of element}" is shown plain vanilla.

/Carsten

[Updated on: Wed, 13 May 2020 09:22]

Re: Feature request [message #1827334 is a reply to message #1827328] Wed, 13 May 2020 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Yoann.
mercy beaucoup for the pointer. Reading this my feature request is just a generalization of the one you filed.
/Carsten
Re: Feature request [message #1827337 is a reply to message #1827334] Wed, 13 May 2020 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@Carsten Since you have yet to answer the what is a uid query or identify what uid sharing might mean, I cannot comment on your ideas.

@Yoann Your Bugzilla is clear. I have posted a comment observing that conversion of informal text such as OCL expressions to formal OCL Abstract Syntax model form would solve the problem.
Re: Feature request [message #1827338 is a reply to message #1827337] Wed, 13 May 2020 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,
uid might be what becomes the xmi:id in the UML file. An unique identifier somehow generated by Papyrus that cannot be altered by the user. Or to be more exact: At least cannot be altered by the users by means provided by Papyrus. The means might be provided by the Eclipse installation (i.e. the generic text editor or the webXML editor), but not by Papyrus itself. I presume users editing the UML file directly with some text editor or XML editor or else to be aware of what they do.
/Carsten
Re: Feature request [message #1827361 is a reply to message #1827338] Wed, 13 May 2020 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

I've never noticed a uid in Papyrus.

xmi:id is an artifact of XMI serialization that should not normally be useable by modeling tools. You might be persisting in a database with perhaps an oid.

Eclipse UML has no/poor ability to correlate xmi:ds between load and save.

If Papyrus has introduced some user controllable 'element-id' then that is not in accordance with UML and as you seem to have discovered has unsatisfactory ergonomics.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Feature request [message #1827365 is a reply to message #1827361] Wed, 13 May 2020 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,
I am very sorry about that, but obviously as the attached screenshot shows the Papyrus comment editor uses the xmi:id as uid for references. That makes me somehow believe, there is some means to get the xmi:id within Papyrus.
/Carsten
  • Attachment: uid.PNG
    (Size: 194.91KB, Downloaded 75 times)
Re: Feature request [message #1827371 is a reply to message #1827365] Wed, 13 May 2020 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

Indeed that is totally non-standard and totally stupid. If the comment needs a link to an element, the user should draw a <<comment-body>> relationship between the comment and the element perhaps annotating with a name/role. The remote end of the relationship would obviously refactor sensibly. xmi:id should never ever be used by users and only seen by those who like using Notepad on XMI files. I suggest you raise a Papyrus bugzilla.

Regards

Ed Willink

Re: Feature request [message #1827375 is a reply to message #1827371] Wed, 13 May 2020 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,
no it not the "If the comment needs a link to an element" case. The {@....} is evaluated to the element's name. If you take a look at the comment text in the diagramme in the new screenshot, in that case you will see "User" instead of "{@...}". "User" is underlined to show it is an evaluated reference.
As I really like this feature, I will NOT file it as an issue ;-)
/Carsten
  • Attachment: uid2.PNG
    (Size: 185.63KB, Downloaded 83 times)
Re: Feature request [message #1827399 is a reply to message #1827375] Thu, 14 May 2020 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

The relationship doesn't have to be visibly drawn; the remote end may be selected by pop-up.

But consider the same thing where OCL defined a computed comment.

There is a relationship (not necessarily drawn) to the context element that can then be accessed as self allowing

self.name + ' represents a coffee machine'

self is defined by modeled relationship
the navigation thereafter is defined by a determinstic programming languge

No use of magic unstable not necssarily available xmi:idfs.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Feature request [message #1827405 is a reply to message #1827399] Thu, 14 May 2020 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,
I have to further think on your statement. What is currently unclear to me, how utilities working on the emitted XMI (i.e. Eclipse Obeo Acceleo) can access self.name. Accessing xmi_id attributes is straight forward for such utilities.
/Carsten
Re: Feature request [message #1827428 is a reply to message #1827405] Thu, 14 May 2020 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Accessing xmi:id should not be easy in Acceleo, but perhaps there is a naughty helper function that I have ignored.

There is no equivalent naughty helper function in QVTo or QVTr.
Re: Feature request [message #1827431 is a reply to message #1827428] Thu, 14 May 2020 11:50 Go to previous message
Hi Ed,

yes, should be possible. A qualified name shall also be unique within a model. Using qualified name instead of xmi:uid only forces the tools to unmarshal the XMI prior to processing and to operate on an object model. But this is -- hopefully -- the case with at least Eclipse Obeo Acceleo.
OK, yes Ed, I am now fully d'accord with you on xmi:id attributes. As purely technically required unique identifiers by the marshaling process these should not be exposed to the tool's user. Furthermore a qualified name should qualify as -- as my mind tells me currently -- a drop-in replacement.

/Carsten

EDIT s/shall/should/

[Updated on: Thu, 14 May 2020 11:54]

Previous Topic:How to change visibility of association member ends ?
Next Topic:Error in Papyrus Setup with Eclipse Installer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:21:53 GMT 2024