Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Register groups in debug launch configuration are lost on debug launch failure(Register groups in debug launch configuration are lost on debug launch failure)
Register groups in debug launch configuration are lost on debug launch failure [message #1826225] Tue, 21 April 2020 13:41 Go to next message
Tommy Murphy is currently offline Tommy MurphyFriend
Hi there

Just wondering if anybody knows anything about this. I'm using Eclipse 4.15 and CDT 9.11.

I've played around with defining some additional register groups in the Register view and they work well. However because I am using an embedded target (RISC-V) over openocd/JTAG debug launch failures are common - e.g. when I forget to switch the board on! ;-)

When I use a debug launch configuration with register groups defined and the debug launch succeeds then everything works great. But if at any stage the debug launch configuration fails then the register groups are removed from the debug launch configuration and any subsequent use of this debug launch configuration has no register groups and just displays the default "General Registers" list of all registers.

Is this the intendend behaviour here and, if so, why?
If not then does it sound like a bug and would anybody be able to point me at the relevant code that might need to be tweaked?

If you need any further information to understand my question then please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks a lot
Regards
Tommy Murphy
Re: Register groups in debug launch configuration are lost on debug launch failure [message #1826238 is a reply to message #1826225] Tue, 21 April 2020 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the debug launch configuration XML file register groups, if defined, are stored here:

<stringAttribute key="org.eclipse.cdt.launch.DEBUGGER_REGISTER_GROUPS" value=""/>

The code that persist this is here:

https://git.eclipse.org/c/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git/tree/debug/org.eclipse.cdt.debug.core/src/org/eclipse/cdt/debug/internal/core/RegisterGroupsPersistance.java#n211

However I wonder if, in the case of a failed debug launch. is groups perhaps not initialized so that the default (blank string) get stored thus losing the register group configuration details?

[Updated on: Tue, 21 April 2020 16:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Register groups in debug launch configuration are lost on debug launch failure [message #1831666 is a reply to message #1826225] Wed, 26 August 2020 09:03 Go to previous message
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=562407
Previous Topic:Headless build issue
Next Topic:GDB in eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 04:24:22 GMT 2024