Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » ProgressMonitorDialog broke with update(The run() method behaves differently in 2019-12)
ProgressMonitorDialog broke with update [message #1823211] Sun, 22 March 2020 20:21
Mark Mising name is currently offline Mark Mising nameFriend
Hi, My previous IDE version was from June 2018, but I updated to 2019-12 version recently. This new version breaks the former behavior of the run() method . The Javadoc (even the 2020-03 version) states that the run(fork, enableCancel, myRunnable) method "blocks" regardless of the setting of the fork parameter. I read this to mean that whether fork is set to true or false is irrelevant, i.e., it is ignored. But with 2019-12, the behavior of my program changes whether fork is true or false. If set to false, the run() method blocks while executing myRunnable, but the progress dialog never appears. If fork is set to true, the progress dialog appears, but myRunnable is apparently run in a separate process, and so two threads are running simultaneously, and this causes issues with my code because of race conditions. I would like to use the run() method with the fork parameter set to false, but when I do, the progress dialog never appears.

If run() reported the PID of the forked process, then I could have my main code wait until the PID finishes, but I haven't found a way to get the PID of the forked process. It just seems to me that there is a bug in the run() method if fork is set to false. In addition, the Javadoc no longer matches how it actually behaves.

Am I doing something wrong?

[Updated on: Sun, 22 March 2020 20:26]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Composite background & dark theme
Next Topic:Difference between using a lambda and an anonymous inner interface implementation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:58:26 GMT 2024