Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Gendoc » Any comparison of document generators available?
Any comparison of document generators available? [message #1822723] Thu, 12 March 2020 09:24 Go to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi together,

I currently use and really appreciate GenDoc for Papyrus. The GenDoc team is doing a fantastic job.

But how does GenDoc comare to
* Eclipse Obeo M2Doc (seems very much the same to me, appart the query language used)
* Eclipse BIRT (people using or migrating from RSAD mostly are used to that)
?

Any papers on that.

/Carsten
Re: Any comparison of document generators available? [message #1822775 is a reply to message #1822723] Fri, 13 March 2020 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antonio Campesino is currently offline Antonio CampesinoFriend
Hi,

No, we do not have any paper comparing GenDoc to M2Doc neither to BIRT. I have not look to any of them for long time but my impression was:

1- BIRT is more for record /row based information, even if there was a RSA BIRT connector implemented, I am not aware of anything like that for Papyrus
2. M2Doc, last time I look at it, it uses Word fields to the query langauges while gendoc handle inline tags...

In the other hand, latest version of Gendoc can produce Excel and Powerpoint files also...

Best Regards,
Antonio

Re: Any comparison of document generators available? [message #1822850 is a reply to message #1822775] Sun, 15 March 2020 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
I now have installed both BIRT and M2DOC beside GenDoc. I yesterday did the first really primitive BIRT report on the GenDoc example model. That report merely is a smoke test just showing the root UML::PackagedElement :-)

As soon I have a conclusion, I'll post it in this forum.

/Carsten
Re: Any comparison of document generators available? [message #1823018 is a reply to message #1822850] Wed, 18 March 2020 07:58 Go to previous message
Tristan Faure is currently offline Tristan FaureFriend
Thank you for your feedback Mr. Pitz (and sorry for the late answers in France like other countries we are dealing with Covid-19)

I agree with Antonio answer

To be fullly transparent the company making M2Doc originally wanted to contribute to Gendoc. We had initiated a wiki page to see what could be improved : https://wiki.eclipse.org/Gendoc/FunctionalFeatures (note : as Antonio said some of the statements are no more relevant because of the Gendoc latest updates).

After some discussions they present us M2Doc and we understood that merging into Gendoc was not possible anymore

In addition to Excel and Powerpoint, Gendoc has features to generate Papyrus tables easily. I did not see the whole code of M2Doc base but Gendoc seems to be more extendable.

We also know that Gendoc is used in production in a lot of industrial companies (Atos, Thales, Airbus, Airbus DS, Thales Alenia Space, ...) and is mature for a long time. This is very important for us and that's why template created with older versions of Gendoc still work.

EDIT : another interesting point is Gendoc generates libreoffice odt file format and not only docx (concerning Word processors)

[Updated on: Tue, 14 April 2020 06:11]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Word sub document
Next Topic: R-E-A-L (Rapid Engineering Architecture Linked)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:40:40 GMT 2024