Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » InstanceSpecification link end names(Links should display the end names of the corresponding association, not the names of the instances it links to)
InstanceSpecification link end names [message #1820567] Thu, 23 January 2020 00:34
Olivier Cailloux is currently offline Olivier CaillouxFriend
When displaying a Link on a (class) diagram, I expect the link ends to show the end names of the corresponding Association. But instead, the names of the instances it links to are shows.

By "Link", I mean an InstanceSpecification element having an Association as classifier.

The OMG UML specification (2.5.1, Section 9.8.4) says: "An InstanceSpecification whose classifier is an Association represents a link and is shown using the same notation as for an Association (...). End names may adorn the ends." Figure 9.30 of the spec (page 171) displays an instance of a person, Don, linked to an instance of a person, Josh, and the link ends show "father" and "son": those are not the names of the instances but rather (probably) the end names of the corresponding association.

In Papyrus, however, all my attempts at displaying a link in a diagram show at the ends the names of the instances linked to. In the previous example, that is: Don and Josh. Much less informative! (I can remove the display of the end names thanks to the Format menu, but I can't change it.)

Am I doing something wrong, or misunderstanding the specification?

This post suggests that it used to work as I expect, but I am not sure.
Previous Topic:Adding a block as <<part>> in an IBD
Next Topic:Can't create an Association as a child of the root model element
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 18:07:42 GMT 2024