Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Import of UML model exported by Enterprise Architect(Request for help with importing model)
Import of UML model exported by Enterprise Architect [message #1819297] Sun, 12 January 2020 13:16 Go to next message
Jan Vlug is currently offline Jan VlugFriend
The municipality of Delft released a UML model of all policy areas of Dutch municipalities.

The XMI export can be found at:
https://github.com/Gemeente-Delft/Gemeentelijk-Gegevensmodel/blob/master/gemeentelijk%20gegevensmodel.xml

I would like to be able to import this model in Papyrus to bring this work forward to other organisations, without the need to rely on proprietary tooling.

I order to import the model, I tried to rename the extension of this file to .uml and import it in Papyrus, but it did not work. Initially, I ran out of memory, I assigned more memory to Eclipse/Papyrus, but now the import seems to hang.

If you could help importing this document that would be highly appreciated.
Re: Import of UML model exported by Enterprise Architect [message #1819301 is a reply to message #1819297] Sun, 12 January 2020 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

You need to get Delft to move into the 21st century. The prolog is:

<XMI xmi.version="1.1" xmlns:UML="omg.org/UML1.3" timestamp="2019-12-19 10:38:16">

This is UML 1.3. UML 2.0 came out in 2004. AFAIK Eclipse UML2 has never supported UML 1.x so you are in big trouble with UML::TaggedValue,.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Import of UML model exported by Enterprise Architect [message #1819326 is a reply to message #1819301] Mon, 13 January 2020 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Jan,

AFAIK, there is no such import tool in the open source area. However, if the models are exported from EA targeting XML 2.1 (Rather than 1.x), then the resulting models is usually close to being fully compatible with Eclipse/UML (You'll probably get a few errors due to the different versions of UML used in EA vs Eclipse/UML2 & Papyrus)

> I order to import the model, I tried to rename the extension of this file to .uml and import it in Papyrus

After exporting the EA Model to XMI 2.x, you shouldn't have to rename the file (Actually, renaming the file will probably make it worse). You could then try to save it to *.uml to get a format compatible with Papyrus (i.e. Eclipse/UML2 format, rather than OMG/XMI). I'm not sure if that would work out of the box, but it's worth trying.

In general, this type of conversion can give acceptable results with minimal tweaks, but to get a usable & stable import, some steps need to be automated (e.g. to handle or remove EA-specific extensions, such as Diagrams & Profiles/Libraries, adjust the model to get an XMI serialization that is compatible with UML 2.5...)

HTH,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: Import of UML model exported by Enterprise Architect [message #1819342 is a reply to message #1819326] Mon, 13 January 2020 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wiman is currently offline Thomas WimanFriend

Hi Jan,

We are working on an internal tool for importing SparxEA-repositories into Papyrus. Our strategy is to read the SparxEA-repository using Sparx public API and create an identical model in Papyrus using Papyrus/UML2-API

The tool is far from finished but it can currently import most of the kind of elements, relationships and diagrams you have in your model.

We still have to add support for importing element properties, stereotypes (including creating profiles) and adjusting element sizes and relationship bendpoints in diagrams

I have attached a zipped Eclipse project that contains your model as a Papyrus-model and a css-file applied on the project to fix the overall diagram layout.

If you find this useful for your case please let me know.

Thomas

Thomas Wiman
MetaModelAgent Product Manager
Re: Import of UML model exported by Enterprise Architect [message #1819359 is a reply to message #1819342] Mon, 13 January 2020 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Vlug is currently offline Jan VlugFriend
Hi Thomas,

This is very helpful. The model and the diagrams look good. I did only have a quick look for the moment, but it seems that all the classes and diagrams are visible in Papyrus. Many thanks for the imported model in the zip file!
Re: Import of UML model exported by Enterprise Architect [message #1819463 is a reply to message #1819297] Wed, 15 January 2020 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
The UML 1.3 version in the XMI file is easy to fix. You can download a 30-day free evaluation copy of Sparx Enterprise Architect from their website, open the eap file, and the export it again as UML 2.x XMI.

In the past I have exchanged XMI files between Sparx and Papyrus, after exporting as UML 2 XMI I manually edited the XMI file by chagrining the file extension to *.UML and the Namespace URI to the one used by Papyrus, i.e. http://www.eclipse.org/uml2/5.0.0/UML.

By the way eap files are just MS Access databases, so you can open the file in Access and query the model. You can download the database schema documentation from Sparx website. You can save the database file as Firebird as well if you want to use Firebird to query it.

A tool to export Papyrus to-from Sparx is great news from me, as I use Papyrus for teaching and Sparx for work! Please keep posting progress on this thanks!!
Re: Import of UML model exported by Enterprise Architect [message #1819486 is a reply to message #1819463] Thu, 16 January 2020 08:00 Go to previous message
Thomas Wiman is currently offline Thomas WimanFriend

One of the reasons for us to turn into the strategy of accessing the Sparx API instead of adjusting and using the Sparx XMI-files is that Sparx is more liberate when it comes to UML and makes it possible to create model constructions (structures, elements, tagged values and other things) that cannot be mapped 1:1 to the UML standard, as supported by Papyrus/UML2.

Another reason is that diagram representation is not standardized and need programmatic interpretation/conversion anyway.

I find it impossible to develop a ready-to-use import tool that suites all cases. The strategy now is to develop a kind of framework for reading Sparx-model constructions and writing Papyrus ditto with a default, probably incomplete, mapping in between. The mapping will then have to be programmatically adjusted/extended for each case.

I have not yet tried the other way around, due to lack of business case (yet). However I have done some proof-of-concepts on customer behalf to import Aris AML-files into Sparx EA, but that is a completely different story...

/Thomas

Thomas Wiman
MetaModelAgent Product Manager
Previous Topic:Change default values (specification) for enum literals automatically
Next Topic:Papyrus Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:16:56 GMT 2024