Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How to run TWO applications in Debug mode - both on Eclipse
How to run TWO applications in Debug mode - both on Eclipse [message #1818792] Sat, 28 December 2019 14:35 Go to next message
Helen Keller is currently offline Helen KellerFriend
I like to verify bluetooth connection between RPi and PC .
The objective is to display data processed by RPi on PC.
A simple verification of (socket) transfer of text message either direction would be perfect.

I am not sure which "side" to call server and which one a client - as far as bluetooth communication goes. At this point I do no need to get stuck in terminology.

Actually I would like to start the tests by setting the bluetooth to local or remote loopback mode.
That seems to be "unknown " to any Internet articles - so far.

In simple terms - can I execute TWO independent copies of Eclipse IDE to run BOTH applications on SINGLE PC - one as TCF application and the other as local ?

Re: How to run TWO applications in Debug mode - both on Eclipse [message #1818793 is a reply to message #1818792] Sat, 28 December 2019 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
You shouldn't need two independent copies of Eclipse running. You can launch (execute) as many copies of an application as your PC can handle from a single instance of Eclipse. Each one will run as an independent program on your PC and they can all run at the same time.

The Eclipse debug perspective will show you all of the application instances and you can select which one you want to concentrate on while debugging. You can switch between the application instances.

Something to keep in mind when running multiple copies of the same application. PC resources that can't be shared may prevent multiple copies of the application from running. Resources such as bluetooth adapters tend to be limited so you first need to insure that your PC operating system can support two copies of the application trying to access bluetooth at the same time. Note that these operating system limitations are inherent to your PC and aren't a limitation of the Eclipse IDE.
Re: How to run TWO applications in Debug mode - both on Eclipse [message #1818887 is a reply to message #1818793] Tue, 31 December 2019 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks,
I decided to put each app - client / server to separate workspace.
Not a great idea coping / renaming workspaces.

It seems to "loose" few setting.

I'll try your suggestion, but I am not sure how to copy working client app - running as local C++ code to TCF ( remote ) server running on remote hardware ( Raspberry Pi. ) It is not just simple matter to "change" from C++ compiler to crosscompiler.
Ideally I like to import working TCF code crosscomplier setting so I do not have to modify much. But since I made a mistake to copy / rename my original workspace it is getting complicated.
O well.

Re: How to run TWO applications in Debug mode - both on Eclipse [message #1818896 is a reply to message #1818887] Wed, 01 January 2020 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I managed to mess-up my workspaces and good copy of latest Eclipse in the process.
Now I have BOTH applications in same workspace and they both run individually.
I am really not into code debugging, the code works for my purpose.
I can start the "server" and it waits for connection OK.
I can start the "client" BUT I have not figured out HOW to switch between each application console.
That woudl be "high level" debugging - to see the send and response messages, I do not need to go into the code any deeper, unless it fails.
But both ends of the communication start OK as expected.

Re: How to run TWO applications in Debug mode - both on Eclipse [message #1819181 is a reply to message #1818896] Thu, 09 January 2020 15:45 Go to previous message
I would like to reopen this discussion, by describing SPECIFIC example I need assistance with.
I have a client / server application running on Raspberry PI and sending data to PC - via bluetooth.
So far I have it sort of working "one way" , not really sure how, but eventually I'll figure out the set-up details.
"Debug perspective " is sort of doing its job.

My issue is - in order to send data from client I have to have the server code running.
Nothing unusual about that.
And both application run independently as expected.
The "problem " is - it makes debugging a pain .

I have to start / run local C/C++ application and can observe the "console" until the code stops to wait for client.
Then I have to "run" remote / TCF application and like to see the output on the console, but can do without.

What I sometime observe, and again I have not figured out exact setting , is the "server" acknowledges the request and code proceeds as expected.
At that point Eclipse standard console switches back to first C/C++ app and all is well.

Therefore I have two questions to the forum:
can I instructs Eclipse to run first C/C++ and then run the TCF application ?
Even old fashioned bat file woudl probably do, but I have not done one recently.
I did look into "project dependency" and these project are NOT depended on each other code .
Perhaps next time I'll start depended protects from get go, but not this time.

I like to be able to select project specific console and did look into that - tried "pin" console and could not tell which application was being displayed.

I realize this in not run of the mill request , but could use some pointers to find a reasonable solution.

Previous Topic:Adding Breakpoints programatically
Next Topic:Can't debug startup code Reset_Handler
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:07:46 GMT 2024