Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Integrating ARM toolchain into Eclipse(Selecting correct ARM toolchain)
Integrating ARM toolchain into Eclipse [message #1817863] Sun, 01 December 2019 19:26 Go to next message
Ken Green is currently offline Ken GreenFriend
I am new to developing Linux. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 and have installed Eclipse using SNAP. It appears to be working correctly. I now want to integrate the ARM tools into the Eclipse framework. I see from the gnu mcu eclipse WEB site that the ARM toolchain binaries are loaded using xPack. I don't know whether this is just the stand alone versions or the CDT version. If I go to Help>install new software in Eclipse, what site (respository) do I go to?
Re: Integrating ARM toolchain into Eclipse [message #1817865 is a reply to message #1817863] Sun, 01 December 2019 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Hi,

I'm not familiar with ARM but the steps to install the GNU MCU plug-ins seem well explained in the GNU MCU website [1].

Moreover, for anything related to C/C++ (i.e. the usage of CDT) I advise you to post in the dedicated forum. The GNU MCU website has also a support page [3] where they list several useful links for their users.

[1] https://gnu-mcu-eclipse.github.io/plugins/install/
[2] https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=80
[3] https://gnu-mcu-eclipse.github.io/support/
Re: Integrating ARM toolchain into Eclipse [message #1817885 is a reply to message #1817863] Mon, 02 December 2019 09:13 Go to previous message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
There are different compiler sets for ARMs in the Ubuntu repository.

For most embedded ARMs the arm-none-eabi toolset is fine.
In my Kubuntu 18.04 I have:
binutils-arm-none-eabi
gcc-arm-none-eabi
libstdc++-arm-none-eabi-newlib
libnewlib-arm-none-eabi

I have used the toolset for ARM7TDMI and different Cortex-M3 and Cortex-M4 processors. Most of the packages will get installed when installing the GCC,
just as root:
apt update
apt install gcc-arm-none-eabi

There is a version of the GDB debugger for multiple architectures, gdb-multiarch which handles the ARMs well.

For accessing an embeded ARM, you'll need a JTAG handler. I'm using OpenOCD which is also in the Ubuntu repositories.

The ARM compilers for ARM Linux (e.g. Raspberry Pi) are different beasts.

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:Eclipse installer Golang
Next Topic:Compiler changing problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:24:09 GMT 2024