Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Warnings with API 4.1.0 documentation(2285 warnings in poi-4.1.0 project, mostly in htnl)
Warnings with API 4.1.0 documentation [message #1816725] Tue, 05 November 2019 16:37 Go to next message
Michael Gosselin is currently offline Michael GosselinFriend
So I have updated to Eclipse Java 2019-09 in an Eclipse Photon workspace, and opened an existing project. The project includes the Apache POI jars, and when I open it, I get 2285 warnings. The first 100 are in poi-4.1.0/docs/apidocs/dev/index-all.html.

Now, I've inherited this project from someone who has left the company, so I have no real internal resources, so I'm relying on you kind people here for information.

I can post specifics if needed, but I don't know if this is Eclipse related, Apache related, or some combination of the two.
Re: Warnings with API 4.1.0 documentation [message #1816734 is a reply to message #1816725] Wed, 06 November 2019 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Problems in the Problems view will often/typically have quick fixes associated with them on the context menu and that will often/typically allow you to do things like Configure Problem Severity so that you can disable warnings in which you are not interested.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Warnings with API 4.1.0 documentation [message #1816736 is a reply to message #1816734] Wed, 06 November 2019 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

As Ed indicates there are many warnings that you may choose to ignore, but IMHO this should be a project decision that should be applied in the project-specific settings so that they are committed to GIT and are used by anyone else who picks up the code. They should not be workspace preferences, unless you ensure that OOMPH sets up the workspace consistently for everyone. You need to decide whether your predecessor unhelpfully hid the warnings by workspace settings, just ignored warnings, or your configuration is 'wrong' or old. New versions of JDT may detect more problems. New versions of Eclipse improve parameterization sometimes detecting poor source code.

If you check out org.eclipse.ui.workbench as a project with sources, that single plugin will give you nearly 2000 warnings! Most of these are of the form "ArrayList is a raw type. References to generic type ArrayList<E> should be parameterized", so presumably the Eclipse platform developers have neglected to apply appropriate preferences or are happy to have the nagging warnings to remind them to upgrade the code..

You may well find that a few minor changes suppress most of the warnings, but you should analyze each category rather than switch it off arbitrarily.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Warnings with API 4.1.0 documentation [message #1816741 is a reply to message #1816736] Wed, 06 November 2019 07:54 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, note thought that he says the warnings are in a *.html file, and that's not something that JDT does. Perhaps some Web Tools validator which could be disabled (best via a project-specific preference, if that's supported for this case), or perhaps it comes from something contributed by a Language Server (though those mostly produce diagnostics only when you open the resource).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Eclipse installer hangs
Next Topic:Internal Java Error at startup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 23 21:17:35 GMT 2024