Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse installer hangs(Eclipse installer by Oomph fails)
Eclipse installer hangs [message #1816668] Mon, 04 November 2019 14:03 Go to next message
Henrik Teinelund is currently offline Henrik TeinelundFriend
I try to install Eclipse 2019-09 (for Java EE) by Oomph, but it only displays the splash dialog. Nothing else ever happens. When I click on the dialog, Windows display "eclipse-inst.exe is not responding".

I all ready have Eclipse installed, but it won't starts. Just also displaying the plash screen. Nothing more ever happens. That's why I want to try installing Eclipse from the beginning. When I try start Eclipse from the Bash (GIT for Windows) Command Line it complains about:
Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xerces/parsers/DOMParser

This is the full stack trace from the command line:
org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: The org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration bundle was activated before the state location was initialized.  Will retry after the state location is initialized.
14:59:13:665 >> Loading UFT Java Support (version 14.51.0.0) (Oracle Corporation, 1.8.0_231)
Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xerces/parsers/DOMParser
        at com.mercury.ftjadin.utils.xmlParsing.DomParserFactory.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at com.mercury.javashared.agentloader.AgentClassLoaderJava2.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        ... 1 more

I have also installed the newest update for Java SDK 8 (just to be sure that the Java hasn't been corrupted. I have updated JAVA_HOME and PATH.

Last week, Eclipse worked like a charm.

I use Win 10 Prof, latest Eclipse, Java JDK 8u231
Re: Eclipse installer hangs [message #1816687 is a reply to message #1816668] Tue, 05 November 2019 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The stack trace you show is the one for the IDE that won't start, not for the installer that won't start. Likely the installer (which is just an Eclipse application) won't start for much the same reason.

In this post I tried testing this particular version of Java on my local machine and that works fine:

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=1101171&goto=1816636&#msg_1816636

But I got no response after that post, so I don't really know why this isn't working for someone else (or for you).

For Windows the eclipse-inst-win64.exe is like a self-extracting "zip". It will unzip to your temp folder, i,e., for me here:

C:\Users\merks\AppData\Local\Temp\eoi*.tmp

And it will use this location as the log file which will likely contain clues that will hopefully help figure out what specifically is going wrong:

C:\Users\merks\AppData\Local\Temp\eoi*.tmp\configuration\.metadata\.log

If you delete all the eoi*.tmp folders in your Temp folder and run the installer again you'll be sure you're seeing the folder for the most recent attempt to run the installer.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse installer hangs [message #1816695 is a reply to message #1816687] Tue, 05 November 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Teinelund is currently offline Henrik TeinelundFriend
Thanks Ed for answering so quickly!

I did delete all C:\Users\merks\AppData\Local\Temp\eoi*.tmp and tried the installer once again.

Unfortunately, it looks like the installer hangs before it is able to write to the .log file. I can't find a eoi*.tmp\configuration\.metadata\.log file :( .

To give a lite more information, I remember that I did update a new version of IntelliJ, the week before, and it could be the new version that did something to my computer system. It looks far fetched to me, but that is one vector that has changed lately.

I have tried to update the CLASSPATH with a path to xercesImpl-2.8.0.jar that contains the xerces parser in question. To no vain. Both Eclipse and the installer fails on the same spot as earlier attempts.
Re: Eclipse installer hangs [message #1816709 is a reply to message #1816695] Tue, 05 November 2019 12:20 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
When I do some Googling I find a similar stack trace here:

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/UFT-Discussions/Intellij-Idea-does-not-launch-when-upgrading-HP-UFT-from-14-1-to/td-p/1791245

I wonder if you have any strange "JAVA_*" environment variables that might lead to this behavior? Certainly if XML can't be parsed, the startup process is not likely to get very far...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Every second Junit 5 test execution fails with message 'No tests found with test runner JUnit 5'
Next Topic:Warnings with API 4.1.0 documentation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:48:52 GMT 2024