Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Arduino go to library function implementation(Cannot get to the function implementation from the library .h file)
Arduino go to library function implementation [message #1815980] Wed, 16 October 2019 13:21 Go to next message
Vadim Korkin is currently offline Vadim KorkinFriend
Hello all.
I'm learning how to use Eclipse for my Arduino Uno projects. I made some code, tried to flash my Arduino board. Everything is fine. Eclipse feels much better than Arduino IDE because it has code completion, highlighting, etc.

But I ran into a problem. If I install a library, for example, IRremote which is available from Arduino Downloads Manager I include the .h file in my .cpp sketch file. But I cannot go to the function implementation from the library .h file into the library .cpp file. When I use Ctrl+ Click it doesn't go anywhere. I tested this with IRremote and DHT Sensor LIbrary. I think it is the same with any other library.

My steps in detail:
1. Install IRremote via Arduino Downloads Manager.
2. Create a new Arduino project
3. Include "IRremote.h" in the sketch
#include "IRremote.h"

4. Declare a new IRrecv like this:
IRrecv irrecv(11);

5. Highlight IRrecv, press F3 - it goes to IRremote.h
6. PROBLEM - Highlight any function in IRremote.h and press F3 - nothing happens. Ctrl+Click also doesn't work.
If I press "Toggle Source/Header" it goes to IRremote.cpp but not to the actual implementation.

If I add the whole IRremote library as a C++ managed build project pressing F3 in IRremote.h immediately takes me to the implementation in the correct .cpp file.

My questions are:
1. Is it possible to make Eclipse go to the library function implementation from the .h file? Maybe some settings can change this behavior? It is really strange that it works well for a C++ project but doesn't work for an Arduino project.
2. (If the answer to 1 is no ) Are there any workarounds for this problem?

P.S. I'm using the latest released version 2019-09.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2019 15:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Arduino go to library function implementation [message #1816292 is a reply to message #1815980] Fri, 25 October 2019 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vadim Korkin is currently offline Vadim KorkinFriend
After 7000+ views I understand there is no solution. Is it OK to submit a bug to CDT regarding this issue? Will they try to implement this or not? Maybe someone knows...
Re: Arduino go to library function implementation [message #1816299 is a reply to message #1816292] Fri, 25 October 2019 14:28 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
Yes, submit a bug report.
Don't expect an immediate solution if any.
But do understand that Eclipse is run by volunteers .
Maybe you'd like to signup and help?

The issue is merely an annoyance and hardly a requirement.
How do you think it was done back in the dark ages before the turn of the century?
When we had to do all of our computing by candlelight?
Are you really saying you can't find the code some other way?
Say, with a search?

Previous Topic:Unable to launch Eclipse in Ubuntu 18.04 post-installation
Next Topic:${INCLUDE} variable in paths and symbols
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:41:51 GMT 2024