Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Installing updates(Using Help/Install new software vs oomph)
Installing updates [message #1815415] Wed, 02 October 2019 12:59 Go to next message
Mario Jauvin is currently offline Mario JauvinFriend
When I select a bunch of requirements in a p2 repository in the oomph repository explorer often it will fail because some requirements are from a different repo. Is it possible to find out easily what other repo these come from? When you do install new software from the help menu it seem to figure out what requirements are compatible and where to get them from.

Is it possible to find out the list "Install new software" has computed and the repo to get them from?

If you want an example select the EASE repo http://download.eclipse.org/ease/release/latest and look at its behaviour in oomp and in "Install new software".
Re: Installing updates [message #1815418 is a reply to message #1815415] Wed, 02 October 2019 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's not the case that p2 ever figures out where things come from. It only looks in the enabled available repositories, and if it finds nothing compatible in any of those, it fails.

In an Oomph p2 task, it looks only at the repositories listed in the p2 task; you can see those details when you do Help -> Perform Setups Task... and select the p2 task to look at those details. So you will know exactly which repositories are considered; if necessary, you'll need to add repos as they appear in your Available Software Sites if those are generally needed to resolve all requirements of something you're trying to install or update. You can also use https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring#How_to_find_a_P2_repository_at_Eclipse_using_the_Repository_Explorer to find repositories containing the requirement that failed to resolve. You should expect to have to author a p2 task that is complete and that doesn't work simply by virtue of available software site preferences that may or may not be present in any specific installation.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Installing updates [message #1815828 is a reply to message #1815418] Fri, 11 October 2019 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mario Jauvin is currently offline Mario JauvinFriend
Sorry Ed, I was not as clear as I should have. I understand that p2 never figures anything out. It only looks at what the repository in the p2 director task. I will restate my question at the end of this post.

When doing a Help/Install new software menu, the eclipse plugin handling the request will attempt to do some analysis and after 15 steps will present an updated list of requirements that should work in the current installation.

My question is as follows: is it possible to find out the complete list of plugins and the complete list of repository that Help/Install new software has computed and use it to specify a p2 director task in oomph. The only info we get from the help/install new software is a window with the list of requirements which cannot be copied/pasted anywhere and there is no indication of the list of repository that will be consulted.
Re: Installing updates [message #1815831 is a reply to message #1815828] Fri, 11 October 2019 16:32 Go to previous message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
I suspect that you're talking of p2's "problem remedy". I doubt that what you're asking for is possible with plain p2's UI, but this question is best asked in their forum. Once you have that list it's certainly possible to use it to define an Oomph p2 Director task.

Previous Topic:File deletion (or resource replace action)
Next Topic:Perspective customization (with layout)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:12:51 GMT 2024