Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Debugging - Slow jump to source location
Debugging - Slow jump to source location [message #1814421] Wed, 11 September 2019 08:43 Go to next message
Robert Hempel is currently offline Robert HempelFriend
Hello,

as mentioned in the title I have a problem while debugging. It takes an awful amount of time (15+ sec ) to jump to location of code when hitting a breakpoint.

Description:
There is just one breakpoint. I use the application to hit it.
The breakpoint is hit immediately - the variables and debug view are updated at once. The issue is, that it takes about 15+ seconds to update the editor to show the code.
With every stack navigation it takes another 15+ seconds to jump to that location.

I made an animated GIF to show the behaviour - its boring - most of the time waiting ;-)

Sorry I cant give you the project - its to large and I am not allowed to do that.

Question:
Does anyone a idea, why this happens? Is there a way in eclipse to "see" were the time is spend? Could someone give me some instructions how to debug the Java-Editor?
(easy instructions please - I am not a RCP/Eclipse Developer ;-) )

System: Window 7 Pro (Version 6.1 Build 7601: Service Pack 1) - yeah my company should update
Java: Oracle 1.8.201
Eclipse: Version: 2019-06 (4.12.0) Build id: 20190614-1200

thank you in advance
Robert
  • Attachment: Debugging.gif
    (Size: 378.15KB, Downloaded 242 times)
Re: Debugging - Slow jump to source location [message #1814473 is a reply to message #1814421] Thu, 12 September 2019 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sarika Sinha is currently offline Sarika SinhaFriend
We will need some details to analyze the problem:
1. You can check the "Progress View" If some background work is in Progress
2. You can attach Yourkit profiler and provide the details as to what is happening between variable update and Editor selection
3. Can you reproduce the same problem in a new Workspace with a simple program?
4. Can you check if the preference is turned off for Preferences->Java-> Debug-> Show method result after a step operation and Preferences->Java-> Debug->Use advanced source lookup

Please create a bug with details in 'Debug' Component : https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=JDT

Sarika Sinha
JDT Programmer
Re: Debugging - Slow jump to source location [message #1814474 is a reply to message #1814421] Thu, 12 September 2019 03:59 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
That's really very slow. I've never seen something that slow on any projects, even really really huge ones. You can use jvisualvm (which is part of the JDK) to see what all the threads are doing:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock#Using_jvisualvm_.28Java_6.29

If I recall correctly, on one very large customer project it was also somewhat slow, and I used this to find out that it was because I had enabled "Link with editor" in the Package Explorer view (the little two-way arrows on that view), and this was kicking in even when I was in the Debug perspective. And because the projects had a huge number of warnings (I hate it when a customer project has thousands of warnings that they just ignore), the decorating of the expanded tree was expensive. So you might check if you have that enabled and you might try deleting all the warnings from the Problems view to see if that helps; of course the warnings will come back when you rebuild, so it all that helps, you might want to consider changing your warning preferences or changing your code to eliminate the warnings.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:How to add a custom launcher to a perspective
Next Topic:Unable to use Google Play Services Vision API in Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 24 17:28:46 GMT 2024