Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Can't create or find Java project(First time user trying to follow Java HelloWorld sample, basic things I don't know (a really long list))
Can't create or find Java project [message #1814076] Tue, 03 September 2019 06:39
Stephen Rooney is currently offline Stephen RooneyFriend
I have tried to create the Java SWT version of HelloWorld following the cheat sheets provided. After many problems, I have taken my best shot at it and the source code is ready per instructions. However, no projects are listed in the Projects pane, nor are any packages, types or members. This is the third attempt at getting started, I have tried hard to follow instructions diligently, including the project creation step.

So I tried to create a new project, under the suggested name HelloWorldSWT, and it said that project name already exists.

HelloWorldSWT.java exists and looks satisfactory to me, but when I tried to run it I was asked to create a launch configuration, which is not covered in the cheatsheet. So I did my best, and created New_configuration, specifying Java application with appropriate main() and anything else I could guess at. Now when I run it I get the message:

Launch configuration New_configuration references non-existing project HelloWorldSWT.

This is obviously some basic misunderstanding of how Eclipse works, which has the undesirable attribute of being non-obvious.

I am an experienced programmer with many different languages and IDE's, but a first timer on Eclipse Java.

Eclipse for Windows 2019-06 (4.12.0)
Build 20190614-1200
Windows 10 1809 build 17763.678
Hosted under MacOS via Parallels (I know, asking for trouble)
MacOS 10.14.6
Parallels Desktop 14
Previous Topic:Installation error
Next Topic:Problem while extracting the Eclipse Mars
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 01:15:50 GMT 2024