Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » C/C++ Unit optional plugin - question & suggestion(Unit test result message display behavior: cutting off messages & other stuff)
C/C++ Unit optional plugin - question & suggestion [message #1808109] Mon, 17 June 2019 14:18
steve kledtke is currently offline steve kledtkeFriend
Hello,

apologies if my first thread of this nature, which did not show up yet - unlike my thread in "newcomers" asking about that, does indeed still turn up and this would be a double post. (title and text body may differ slightly)

---

It's about the Eclipse CDT optional "C/C++ Unit" plugin:
I am also using a 3rd party test runner plugin for the CppUTest framework.
This basically works in conjunction.
Just that:
When I click on the message of a failed test in the "C/C++ Unit" tab in the IDE with C++ perspective as the current one, on the right side of that tab, the then displayed message text is cut short.
Also, line breaks are ignored. I get why this makes sense for most nodes, but bear with me.

Edit: It's not an in-between part of the chain that cuts off the text, as copying a test message via the "C/C++ Unit" tab's context menu yields the full text on the clipboard.

The question:
As a quick alleviation - is there a setting somewhere, where I can increase the max size of the test message displayed? So it won't be cut short so much, even if I'd need to H-scroll.

A suggestion (haven't seen a feature request forum, so I'll just do that here):

1. On selected *leafs* of test result nodes, show the full text as-is: not cut short, and including line breaks,
  2. while retaining the current behavior on non-leaf nodes.
  3. Perhaps make this configurable in the Run Configuration options, in case this does not make sense for all test frameworks.

Example scenario:

I am using the test framework called CppUTest.
https://cpputest.github.io/

Next to the Eclipse plugin for running unit tests, I also manually installed this CppUTest runner plugin, by the instructions here:
https://github.com/tcmak/CppUTestEclipseJunoTestRunner

I understand that the Eclipse plugin is generic, to support several testing frameworks, and perhaps does not have the exact concept of "test groups vs. test cases" like CppUTest does.
But it does apparently have the concept of hierarchy. So something being a leaf, should be easily detectable.

Why leaf?
In general: In a hierarchy of testing entities, the innermost ones, it seems to me, will be those where seeing more details is going to be interesting, as descending such a hierarchy is by itself an increase in level of detail.
In the concrete example, one test result message of one CppUTest test case may be a lot longer than is currently aparently the maximum line length - text is cut short and also, line breaks are removed before display. Especially for detected memory leaks, it would be nice to see the memory dump which CppUTest outputs. But it l ooks like for longer test/group names, it's not even guaranteed that the line number that produced the problem will be visible.

I understand that when clicking on a non-leaf node of the test entity hierarchy as displayed in the "C/C++ Unit" tab in Eclipse, several sub entities' messages are listed underneath one another, so ignoring line breaks, and to a lesser extent, shortening the text, make sense.
But once you select a node that has no sub-nodes, I see no problem at all of just displaying everything, including line breaks - nothing else will be disturbed, the one entity can have the whole messages window for itself.
And that, would be very handy.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2019 15:15]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Get rid of toolbar
Next Topic:OpenCV application linker error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:31:49 GMT 2024