Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » What happened to Eclipse?(Used it in production, now it's brittle)
What happened to Eclipse? [message #1807229] Sat, 25 May 2019 05:15 Go to next message
Robert Lane is currently offline Robert LaneFriend
Greetings,
I have used Eclipse for years. At the beginning it was a little flaky, but so was the rest of Gnu/Linux back then. More recently I used a third-party app on top of Eclipse in production. Eclipse Juno was rock-solid. So was the third-party app. It was a joy to work with the combination.

Today I'm trying to get 2019-03 (off the fedora rpm) to run. It is a hopeless POS. Restart after adding a marketplace item: hang. eclipse -clean: ok, but that last installation is gone. Lather, rinse, repeat. Folks, this is not Eclipse Juno. This is a travesty. What happened? A chunk of code should not hose its own settings, but deleting all of the settings was the only way to recover from two Eclipse crashes this morning. A total re-install only helped until the subsequent marketplace install attempt.

If this were not FOSS, I'd strongly suspect the presence of marketing droids.

Eclipse used to be, and can still one day be, a superb multi-language IDE. Today it is a waste of disk. Please get it together again.

The attachment shows a dialog containing blue underlined text. In most places such a blue underline is a clickable hyperlink. Eclipse 2019-03 just shows blue underlined text that doesn't do anything when clicked upon. Someone went to the trouble of changing the color of the typeface to imitate a hyperlink. Why would anyone do that? Why not make a hyperlink in the first place?
Re: What happened to Eclipse? [message #1807240 is a reply to message #1807229] Sat, 25 May 2019 16:53 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Scala support comes from http://scala-ide.org/ so it's hard to comment on why their links don't work.

I also can't comment on the state of a Fedora RPM. I know from past experience that such RPM packages can be in a questionable state, so better to get 2019-03 directly from here:

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/

And what do you mean by the installation is gone? Installations don't just delete their own folder starting at the root. Likely an RPM-based installation is read-only and so using it involves a surrogate installation folder under ~/.eclipse/ and I suppose that might become corrupted from some type of update failure, though generally p2 does a good job rolling back when there is a failure.

Again, personally I think you're better off installing a package directly from Eclipse and keeping it in a read-write folder so that you can easily update it directly, without surrogates involved.

In any case, In the end, we can only help if we have specific details, in particular information from the error log (in workspace/.metadata./.log). I know many platform developers use Linux, so unless you provide some details about what might be causing the failures you see, they/we really have nothing to go on in terms of what needs to be fixed/improved.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:maven plugin installation in RAD 7.5.5
Next Topic:Installing Eclipse IDE 2019‑03
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:45:07 GMT 2024