Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Installation question(Configuration of start up folders)
Installation question [message #1806978] Mon, 20 May 2019 14:04 Go to next message
Edward Tippelt is currently offline Edward TippeltFriend
I have trawled through the help and documentation but cannot find a definitive answer to my question, so I am hoping someone in this forum may be able to assist.
I am trying to set up a deployment of Eclipse into a training room environment using virtualisation technology (AppV).
What I am unable to find, is a way of configuring the eclipse-workspace and all other user folders to point to the C:\Users\Public folder rather than the C:\Users\<current-user> folder. The training environment is rebuilt each time a course is completed, so there are no issues requiring data to be stored in a user-specific folder.

I have tried manually going through all configuration files in the current user profile, changing the paths to c:\users\public, and ensuring the files are present in the C:\users\public folder when eclipse (for Java Developers) is started, but somehow it still tries to default to the current user profile.
Clearly I am missing a setting somewhere, or the app cannot be hard coded to a specific user folder, so any help here would be most welcome!

Thanks
EdT
Re: Installation question [message #1807159 is a reply to message #1806978] Thu, 23 May 2019 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

This is a bit out of scope for a "newcomers" forum. You might find the forum for the Platform itself a better place to ask: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/eclipse.platform .

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Installation question [message #1807227 is a reply to message #1807159] Sat, 25 May 2019 03:48 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Perhaps just specifying -Duser.home=C:\Users\public (in the eclipse.ini in the -vmargs section), is all that you need. I use this all the time when testing the Eclipse installer to make it (and the rest of Eclipse) use some other folder as my home folder.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:create custom annotation
Next Topic:maven plugin installation in RAD 7.5.5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:59:33 GMT 2024