Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Why is the Debug Shell not letting me display valid variables?
Why is the Debug Shell not letting me display valid variables? [message #1806628] Sun, 12 May 2019 20:42 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I've made a remote debug connection to a running application. I visited the page in the browser that makes the request, and my debugger hit the breakpoint. In the "Variables" section, I see the parameters to the method, and they look correct. I can hover on those parameters in the source view, and they show me the popup that shows their current values.

I often use the "Debug Shell" to evaluate expressions and call methods. For some reason, this is not working in this test case, and I don't understand what's different. Everything that I enter and display gets "Evaluations must contain either an expression or a block of well-formed statements". I even tried to display "this", and it still gets that error.

I imagine something like this might happen if I don't have debug symbols. I don't see how that could be the case because, again, everything else looks fine. I can see the variable values in the Variables section, and hovers show the same values. I can step through the code and see new variables being declared (and appearing in the Variables view), but nothing I do in the Debug Shell works.

I'm using 2019-03.
Re: Why is the Debug Shell not letting me display valid variables? [message #1806629 is a reply to message #1806628] Sun, 12 May 2019 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
That error message unfortunately doesn't help much.

Just recently I unearthed https://bugs.eclipse.org/349476 which will improve the situation in the future.

Sorry, not much help for now ...
Re: Why is the Debug Shell not letting me display valid variables? [message #1806630 is a reply to message #1806629] Sun, 12 May 2019 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've even tried constant expressions, like '"abc"' or '1'. Same response. Nothing shows up in the log when this happens.
Re: Why is the Debug Shell not letting me display valid variables? [message #1806633 is a reply to message #1806630] Sun, 12 May 2019 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does the Debug Shell only work with "local" processes, as opposed to "Remote Java Application"? I find that hard to believe.
Re: Why is the Debug Shell not letting me display valid variables? [message #1806637 is a reply to message #1806633] Mon, 13 May 2019 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sarika Sinha is currently offline Sarika SinhaFriend
Please create a bug with steps and a reproducible Project/class/workspace.
Debug Shell should have the same context as variables view.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=JDT

Sarika Sinha
JDT Programmer
Re: Why is the Debug Shell not letting me display valid variables? [message #1806682 is a reply to message #1806637] Mon, 13 May 2019 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I've filed a ticket, but I don't have a reproducible test case yet: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=547229 .
Re: Why is the Debug Shell not letting me display valid variables? [message #1806874 is a reply to message #1806682] Thu, 16 May 2019 22:47 Go to previous message
I've added more information to the ticket, but I'm finding a repeatable scenario where breakpoints in the "main" thread (running Spring code) have no trouble with the Debug Shell, but breakpoints in a Daemon Thread (application code) have a non-working Debug Shell.
Previous Topic:Debugging instrumented code
Next Topic:What are those numbers in hover-popup: "java#11.awt#55.Graphics#32603"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:08:08 GMT 2024