Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » RCP Testing Tool » Feature Injections not working in 2.4.2 nightly builds
Feature Injections not working in 2.4.2 nightly builds [message #1806316] Tue, 07 May 2019 16:41 Go to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend

Hi,

I'm trying to update my private client product from Eclipse Oxygen platform to 2019-03. In order to continue running my RCPTT tests, which all exercise Nebula Grid controls, I'm trying to use the latest nightly 2.4.2 snapshot builds of the RCPTT maven plug-ins and runner.

The problem I have is that feature injections that worked fine with the 2.3.0 runner on Oxygen platform no longer work. The runner prints out in the maven log that it is installing each of the features that I want to inject, but in fact not a single bundle from those features is installed. The simple configurator's bundles.info in the AUT that with the 2.3.0 runner listed all of my injected bundles correctly has no mention of any of them under the 2.4.2 runner.

The dependencies of my injections haven't changed in any meaningful way, and there's no mention in the runner's console output or any other log of dependency problems involving my bundles. I don't see anything in any logs, even with mvn -X, to suggest why the bundles aren't being installed that the runner says it is installing.

Has something changed in PDE 2019-03 as compared to Oxygen that requires changes in the runner's injection logic? Or is there something else I can do to try to debug this problem? Short of actually remote-debugging the maven process?

Thanks,
Christian
Re: Feature Injections not working in 2.4.2 nightly builds [message #1806327 is a reply to message #1806316] Tue, 07 May 2019 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If it helps to know, I have also tried using the 2.4.2 snapshot on a branch that successfully executes my tests on a branch of my product that is still on Oxygen platform, including the injections (which are necessary to the correct functioning of my tests).

So, I have a matrix like this:
- 2019-03 platform + RCPTT 2.3.0 ==> 2.3.0 doesn't support 2019-03, of course
- Oxygen platform + RCPTT 2.3.0 ==> injections are installed and the tests run okay
- 2019-03 platform + RCPTT 2.4.2-SNAPSHOT ==> injections are not installed and tests don't run
- Oxygen platform + RCPTT 2.4.2-SNAPSHOT ==> injections are not installed and tests don't run

This suggests that the problem is intrinsic to the RCPTT test runner (2.4.2 version), but I really wouldn't know and this my experiments are by no means conclusive. I suppose it's possible that the different platforms imply different (hidden) dependencies in essentially the same injections. But, for now I'm stuck because I don't know what else to try and the testability of my application depends on the injections.

Christian
Re: Feature Injections not working in 2.4.2 nightly builds [message #1806332 is a reply to message #1806327] Tue, 07 May 2019 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Okay, so I have a work-around that seems to work.

In addition to my "real" product build, I have defined a custom product for each AUT that I need for RCPTT testing, with the features that formerly were injections "baked in" to that product, instead. Then, I use this new bespoke product as the AUT to expand when running the tests, and the tests work.

Comparing the bundles.info files generated by the RCPTT runner for the bespoke all-in-one AUT and the preferred approach of the "real" product with injections, I see that the *only* differences are that the latter is missing the bundles that should be injected, that I have "baked in" to my bespoke AUT product. This, I think, shows clearly that there's no dependency issue or anything that is at fault. It appears that the feature injections capability that worked in the RCPTT 2.3.0 runner simply doesn't work in the 2.4.2 stream.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Christian
[Solved] Re: Feature Injections not working in 2.4.2 nightly builds [message #1806392 is a reply to message #1806332] Wed, 08 May 2019 11:41 Go to previous message

Thanks to a quick response from the RCPTT team! This problem is fixed in the latest 2.4.2 snapshot. Nice work!

Bug 547062 has the details.

Christian
Previous Topic:Unable to run RCPTT tests using pom.xml for eclipse 4.9 application
Next Topic:Different results between Jenkins and test cases run from RCPTT IDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:17:18 GMT 2024