|Gremlins breed rapidly [message #1805540]
||Wed, 17 April 2019 05:54
| Patrick Moran
Registered: March 2018
I have had problem after problem with java files that get gremlins (non-printing character such as EOT) into them. The only way seems to copy a java file's contents over to BB Edit, use their gremlin killer, and then copy that text back.|
I have one simple java program that was used to select a subject and a lesson number, create from that a destination for a DB connection program. I kept copying the file as I made new projects that were more complicated in their main functions. Suddenly something happened that not only contaminated my whole workspace, but also made all of my workspace with several versions of the same basic application get rewritten in all versions of my TimeMachine backup. How that can happen has me very interested.
Anyway I went back to a previous workspace and got almost everything working correctly except for that one subject name and lesson number stuff. I printed off a copy of it and a copy of one from a couple months ago. They were identical. Miffed, I deleted the questionable java file, started a new one, and copied the guts of the one from earlier into that skeleton file. I tried it and everything worked perfectly.
When I was working in C I had the same problem, so I made a little utility ap that I called Texlax that copied each character from the problem file into a new file, but skipped anything out of the normal ASCII range. It was not hard to make. Probably it was the best time & effort/good results ratio I've ever had.
I'm not sure but I think I made the first version of Texlax when I was working on a Dec desktop computer, so Windows computers may have this problem too. Maybe there are people using Eclipse and tearing their hair out because they can't see the hidden junk that is the real problem with their programs.
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.01854 seconds