Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » e(fx)clipse » Succeeded migrating E4 project that uses GEF/JavaFX to OpenJFX 11
Succeeded migrating E4 project that uses GEF/JavaFX to OpenJFX 11 [message #1805238] Wed, 10 April 2019 09:33
Muammer Eroglu is currently offline Muammer ErogluFriend
I was planning to migrate an E4 application that uses JRE8, GEF4 & JavaFX to Java 11 and OpenJFX 11, in order to make use of GTK3 support in Linux. Spent two days struggling and I finally succeeded.

First of all, I am using Debian Buster and installed openjfx 11 via apt-get. Unfortunately, it didn't come with javafx.swt; thus I had to download it manually. I also have openjdk-11.

I also upgraded Eclipse to the latest version; 2019-03. Installed EfxEclipse and GEF from its own update site.

I changed the JRE libraries to Java 11 for all E4/Osgi bundles of the application. In order to eliminate compile time errors, I made a user library containing the JavaFx jar files and added it to bundles' classpath if they had a JavaFx reference. While openjfx.io suggests to use Modulepath; it didn't work with projects containing FxCanvas, but classpath worked.

Last of all, I added the VM argument for EfxEclipse to load classes from OpenJFX 11 modules, that is, "efxclipse.java-modules.dir". Final VM Arguments inside the product file looks like this:

-Dosgi.framework.extensions=org.eclipse.fx.osgi -Defxclipse.java-modules.dir=/usr/share/openjfx/lib

That was all, the application works with JRE11/OpenJFx 11 and also with GTK3.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 April 2019 11:18]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Beginner needs some help
Next Topic:Is there an update site from which efxclipse can be installed?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:19:02 GMT 2024