Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Use Eclipse as a Diff or Merge Command Line Tool(Using Eclipse as an external (to other application) merge tool)
Use Eclipse as a Diff or Merge Command Line Tool [message #1804786] Mon, 01 April 2019 09:29 Go to next message
Stanimir Stamenkov is currently offline Stanimir StamenkovFriend
So I'm aware I can "Associate and Open Files" in Eclipse from the command-line:

I've also found Eclipse could compare (diff), or perform a 3-way merge on any external files:

I would like to have the possibility to open a 3-way merge from the command-line - is it currently possible, maybe using an existing plug-in? This appears possible with IntelliJ IDEA at least:

[Updated on: Thu, 04 April 2019 06:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Use Eclipse as a Diff or Merge Command Line Tool [message #1804971 is a reply to message #1804786] Thu, 04 April 2019 06:31 Go to previous message
Stanimir Stamenkov is currently offline Stanimir StamenkovFriend
Stanimir Stamenkov wrote on Mon, 01 April 2019 05:29
I would like to have the possibility to open a 3-way merge from the command-line...

That is, I would like to configure Eclipse as an external merge tool to command-line version control clients like SVN, Git or Mercurial. I use these much more often than the available Eclipse integrations. The SVN (Subversive) plug-in is practically unusable for being so slow. Nevertheless, I've got used to the merge tool in Eclipse quite a bit. Its two-pane mode (with optional ancestor preview pane) for performing a three-way merge is quite simple to comprehend and use compared to more sophisticated 3-way merge tools like Kdiff3, for example.
Previous Topic:Problem when i start
Next Topic:[HOW TO] Build project with Eclipse JavaEE and Angular 7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 23:22:39 GMT 2024