Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Request guidance for include path management
Request guidance for include path management [message #1803559] Mon, 04 March 2019 08:42 Go to next message
Chris Pons is currently offline Chris PonsFriend
Hi,
I've started to use Eclipse CDT to manage a number of C++ makefile-based projects. (Actually, I'm using WindRiver Workbench, but it's Eclipse)
They are located in different workspaces.
Those projects all have common include path, configured in a common makefile which is shared via git.

In order to have the indexer fully operational, I have to configure the same common include-path in Eclipse. This is where I'm a bit confused, here my understanding so far:
* In each eclipse project, I can configure the "CDT User Setting Entries" to add my path
-- cons: I would have to to each for each project, which is not really efficient
-- cons: this is store in a language.settings.xml file which is project specific and, if I get it right, should not be stored under configuration management
==> Not a good option

* I have created a custom "language.settings.xml" stored in "workspace/.metadata.plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.core" (see attached)
-- pros: this applies to all projects in the workspace
-- pros: can be stored in configuration management
-- cons: when new workspace is created, it needs to be manually customized
-- cons: I'm not able to have this xml file properly configured. It only seems to work if I use an invalid "provider id". Really weird. It then appears with an error flag in the GUI, but my include path are taken into account, which is not the case if I use an existing "provider ID"
==> Still not a good option (but could be acceptable)

All developpers in the team use the same Eclipse package so the ideal solution for me would be to create a customized package which would contain the configuration of my shared include path.
but it seems that it's not feasible, or not feasible with a simple xml file.
I've read multiple forums but didn't find a clear answer about how this situation should be handled in Eclipse.

What I would like to avoid is to write an Eclipse CDT plug-in, because I can't really afford spending time to dig into Eclipse development.

So, simple question but long post, thanks for reading it.
If anyone could guide me to the correct solution that would be really helpful !

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Request guidance for include path management [message #1803625 is a reply to message #1803559] Tue, 05 March 2019 17:24 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
It's not really clear what you want to do.

Assuming that each project has the same structure,
you can define one of them with CDT User Setting Entries using project relative references;
export them; and
import them into subsequent projects.

Still requires some intervention but a lot less typing.

If you meant that there is a common set of includes (as perhaps a library)
then use workspace relative references in CDT User Setting Entries

[Updated on: Tue, 05 March 2019 18:07]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Indexer shows error when there is none
Next Topic:Move semantics vs. lots of stuff
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:52:11 GMT 2024