Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse RCP + OpenJDK 11 + internal API(How to migrate Eclipse RCP application to Java 11)
Eclipse RCP + OpenJDK 11 + internal API [message #1802665] Wed, 13 February 2019 15:24 Go to next message
Serhiy Davydiuk is currently offline Serhiy DavydiukFriend
I want to migrate my Eclipse RCP application to Java 11 (OpenJDK 11).
And I have 3 issues related:

1. One of my plugin uses internal non-exported classes from package
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows

2. Second one uses jaxb-api classes (module jaxb-api has been removed in Java 9+)

3. Another plugins don't have compile errors related to Java 11

Questions/issues:

1. This post describes how to export internal packages in Eclipse: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47262810/eclipse-java9-how-to-access-internal-javafx-packages.
But:
- my JRE System Library doesn't have Is Modular node in project properties dialog. So I need to open classpath file and add attribute manually, Then I'm able to add exports through Module Properties dialog
<classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/JavaSE-11">
	<attributes>
		<attribute name="module" value="true"/>
               <attribute name="add-exports" value="java.desktop/com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows=ALL-UNNAMED"/>
	</attributes>
</classpathentry>

- I can resolve compile errors just adding attribute "add-exports" in classpath file, without specifying JRE as modular:
<classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/JavaSE-11">
	<attributes>
		<attribute name="add-exports" value="java.desktop/com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows=ALL-UNNAMED"/>
	</attributes>
</classpathentry>

Do we need to specify JRE as modular? Which configuration is correct?

2. This post describes how to resolve removed modules: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48204141/replacements-for-deprecated-jpms-modules-with-java-ee-apis
I've downloaded jaxb-api plugin and added it to my target platform. Do I need to update BREE in Manifest file and set Java 11 ?

3. For the plugins, that don't have any compile errors related to Java 11 do I need to update java version in Manifest file and set JRE as modular in classpath file every time?

Regards,
Serhii

[Updated on: Thu, 14 February 2019 14:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse RCP + OpenJDK 11 + internal API [message #1802831 is a reply to message #1802665] Sun, 17 February 2019 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Quote:
my JRE System Library doesn't have Is Modular node in project properties dialog.

You didn't mention which version of Eclipse / JDT you are using. If this happens with latest, than this would be a bug. JRE >= 9 should always be recognized as modular.

Quote:
I can resolve compile errors just adding attribute "add-exports" in classpath file, without specifying JRE as modular:

This is strange, modifying modularity details should only have effect for elements on the Modulepath (i.e., Is Modular / "module=true")

Quote:
Do I need to update BREE in Manifest file and set Java 11 ?

In some situations this would indeed be a good measure against accidentally compiling against an older JRE, where some modules have not yet been removed, thus creating a conflict with additional jars on the Build Path.
Re: Eclipse RCP + OpenJDK 11 + internal API [message #1802961 is a reply to message #1802831] Tue, 19 February 2019 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Serhiy Davydiuk is currently offline Serhiy DavydiukFriend
Thank you for your reply, Stephan.

Quote:

You didn't mention which version of Eclipse / JDT you are using. If this happens with latest, than this would be a bug. JRE >= 9 should always be recognized as modular

I'm using Eclipse 2018-12 (4.10.0) for Committers, JDT 3.16.

Just created a new Plug-in Project from Templates, JRE hasn't been recognized as modular. Checked the same in Eclipse for RCP devs (4.10, JDT 3.16), JRE has been recognized as modular. It looks like a bug for me.

Quote:

This is strange, modifying modularity details should only have effect for elements on the Modulepath (i.e., Is Modular / "module=true")

Agree, maybe Eclipse recognizes JDK 11 as modular by default, I don't know..
Re: Eclipse RCP + OpenJDK 11 + internal API [message #1802973 is a reply to message #1802961] Tue, 19 February 2019 23:26 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Quote:
I'm using Eclipse 2018-12

OK, that's fairly recent :)

Quote:
Just created a new Plug-in Project from Templates,

You mean one of the templates offered in the "New Plug-in Project" wizard, like "Hello, World Command"?
I just tried that and it correctly places the JRE on the module path, and the dialog says "Is Modular".

Wait: the "Java Build Path" shows info as expected, but .classpath doesn't need to show the "module" attribute because that information is inferred, indeed.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 February 2019 23:28]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:JavaScript support in Eclipse for PHP
Next Topic:Eclipse builds .jars that misbehave
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:15:33 GMT 2024