|Re: Stopping Eclipse from Displaying "≥" and "≤" [message #1803770 is a reply to message #1802752]
||Fri, 08 March 2019 21:04
| Patrick Moran
Registered: March 2018
Interesting. I've seen the same problem with some code and/or output from sqLite databases to tab-delimited files. There were about four characters that would come through wrong. I'll have to look for the places where this effect occurred. I wonder why, with Unicode allowing you to print just about anything you might ever want, people are still mis-forming the font files. I've also seen this kind of thing with some professional websites that have problems with the most obvious things, e.g., quotation marks (if I remember correctly). |
Here is an explanation that seems to have all the basics. I guess you'd have to test these ideas out somehow, but when two different kinds of software make two different choices and you can't set preferences to avoid problems I think you are kind of stuck.
After all this time one would think that all the software out there would consistently use Unicode-8 and avoid most if not all of these problems.
Sometimes software developers have wanted to keep font files small, so they have arbitrarily decided for users that, "people communicating in the subject of , e.g., symbolic logic, need a symbol for or and another symbol for exclusive or. They don't need curly quotation marks. Just swap them out."
I just found some websites that have a few of these cheapskate code substitutions that make their screens look âuglylâ . I verified that they thought they were using UTF-8 and I tried using every single font that I could set for the display, however, nothing got rid of the problem. If I wanted to make a proper fix for this problem I suppose I'd have to get in and patch the code for the editor they used to write their text.
When I've noticed funny output from my program that uses sqLite database files to set texts to be displayed for teaching purposes;, I've never found the problem to be with Eclipse. It's always been somewhere else, either in the database creation and maintenance software, or in the code that the database manager uses to import or export data, or maybe something that a spreadsheet program used in editing database materials has done to what looks o.k. on screen but turns into something unwanted as soon as it either imports or exports information.
If I combine data from two sqlite files I may actually find that one was encoded in UTF-I 6 and the other was encoded in UTF-8, and when the two files are combined the spreadsheet program or maybe it is the database management program will run them all together and they treat them all as though there were UTF-16 or all as though they were UTf-8. Then there is a big mess.
I don't think there is going to be a real solution until the software manufacturers and font manufacturers how out the old stuff.
[Updated on: Sat, 16 March 2019 23:46]
Report message to a moderator
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.02869 seconds