Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Java couldn't be found....
Java couldn't be found.... [message #1801876] Tue, 29 January 2019 03:52 Go to next message
Paul Santos is currently offline Paul SantosFriend
I am trying to install eclipse, but I keep getting the following message:

Quote:
Unfortunately the Java version needed to run Eclipse Installer couldn't be found on your system. You need the following version or a higher version:

I am sure that I have the 64-bit version of the jre installed, as it is in the Program Files folder.

I also have the path set correctly. Powershell returns the following when I enter "java -version":

(actually I'm not allowed to include links as a new user)

I'm at a loss as to what to do from here. Further searches only reveal the above two as the most common problems.
Re: Java couldn't be found.... [message #1801909 is a reply to message #1801876] Tue, 29 January 2019 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Why would you need a link to show us the command line output?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Java couldn't be found.... [message #1801912 is a reply to message #1801909] Tue, 29 January 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
And could you post the complete exact path of where Java is installed on your machine. You should not need to set any system paths; the installer looks in the system registry...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Java couldn't be found.... [message #1802026 is a reply to message #1801912] Thu, 31 January 2019 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Cai is currently offline Larry CaiFriend
Not OP but I have the exact same issue.

I did not have JAVA before, but I installed JDK 11.02 according to the URL provided, with all default installation options. I have restarted the system.

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-11.0.2

I have verified that JAVA is properly installed with both the JAVA control panel and with CMD java -version

java version "1.8.0_171"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_171-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.171-b11, mixed mode)

Re: Java couldn't be found.... [message #1802039 is a reply to message #1802026] Thu, 31 January 2019 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The installer looks in the system registry, so if you only unzipped the Java 11 SDK but didn't install it,the installer won't find it. :-(

The Java 8 you do have installed is a 32 bit version, and that doesn't work. The installer also checks the system path, but as you notice, that points at Java 8 and is 32 bit. So you need to manually change the system path...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Java couldn't be found.... [message #1831694 is a reply to message #1802039] Wed, 26 August 2020 17:52 Go to previous message
Azer Khan is currently offline Azer KhanFriend
Saw this and while the above folks are right, somehow my default installation was 32-bit.

Go to console and write: "java -d64"

If the output says: "Error: This java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM." that means you need to uninstall java and then reinstall (just use the eclipse options).

To uninstall (Windows 10), go to Apps & Features, Search 'Java' and just hit uninstall.

Get the right version and you should be good to go :)
Previous Topic:Editor windows relocating themselves
Next Topic:How do I create and set up configs in eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:39:21 GMT 2024