Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Trace Compass » Trace compass with GDB trace format.(How Trace compass parse trace data from GDB trace format.)
Trace compass with GDB trace format. [message #1801591] Wed, 23 January 2019 07:26 Go to next message
Vien Nguyen is currently offline Vien NguyenFriend
I'm a new user of Trace compass. As I read, Trace compass built form CTF (Common Trace Format) data. So I have some question about GDB trace. Can Trace compass work with raw GDB Trace? Does Trace compass convert GDB trace to CTF trace to use? How about other Trace formats (does thet converted to CTF format or they have other parsers?). Thank you.
Re: Trace compass with GDB trace format. [message #1801678 is a reply to message #1801591] Thu, 24 January 2019 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Tasse is currently offline Patrick TasseFriend
Hi Vien,

Trace Compass supports GDB traces but it's a separate feature that needs to be installed manually, unless you are using Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers.

You can install the feature from the main eclipse update site under Performance, Profiling and Tracing Tools > GDB Tracepoint Analysis.

Trace Compass will use the GDB debugger installed on the local host to parse the raw GDB trace events.

See the GDB Tracepoint Analysis User Guide for details:

https://archive.eclipse.org/tracecompass/doc/stable/org.eclipse.tracecompass.gdbtrace.doc.user/User-Guide.html

Patrick
Re: Trace compass with GDB trace format. [message #1801765 is a reply to message #1801678] Fri, 25 January 2019 21:10 Go to previous message
Matthew Khouzam is currently offline Matthew KhouzamFriend

Hi Vien,

The forum ate my reply. Patrick answered masterfully though.

I would like to add, trace compass supports many trace types. Here is a short list

• GDB
  • BTF
  • Generic CTF
  • LTTng Kernel CTF
  • LTTng User Space CTF
  • Perf CTF*
  • FTrace*
  • FTrace Textual report*
  • ATrace (Android)*
  • UFTrace*
  • PCap
  • PCapNg (soon)
  • Maven*
  • Trace Compass*
  • Trace Event (chromium)*
  • Jaeger traces*
  • ROS LTTng User space CTF traces*
  • User defined text log support
  • User defined XML log support

* in the trace compass incubator

Also, please note you can make an 'experiment' with a set of these traces to merge them in time.

So if you have additional logs, you can annotate your GDB trace with them.

Cheers,

Matthew

Previous Topic:XML state provider for generic CTF
Next Topic:Multiple instances of trace compas
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:35:15 GMT 2024