Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Registry Directory Not Available, Mac Install Error(Unable to install new eclipse version on Mac for new user)
Registry Directory Not Available, Mac Install Error [message #1799427] Thu, 06 December 2018 16:44 Go to next message
Nick Van Etten is currently offline Nick Van EttenFriend
I originally had an older version of Eclipse on a user that has since been deleted. When I try to install a new version within a new user, somehow the Eclipse Installer is searching for a directory that was stored with the deleted user. I'm not sure how it's even aware of the old user but I'm looking for a way to ignore the old user altogether and install directly to my new user.

If you copy and paste this topic description in Google the first StackOverflow page is exactly what I'm dealing with, but none of the suggestions listed have worked. (I'd copy the url but since I'm new I'm not allowed to.)

Attached is a screenshot of the error and the stacktrace.

Any ideas?

Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 06 December 2018 17:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Registry Directory Not Available, Mac Install Error [message #1799454 is a reply to message #1799427] Fri, 07 December 2018 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It sounds like perhaps you copied some things from the old user to the new user, in particular the ~/.eclipse folder. In ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.oomph.p2/*.info will be absolute file system locations (of the agent and the shared bundle pool) that are only appropriate for the original user. In fact many things in the ~/.eclipse folder may not be sensible/correct when copied from one user to another. If this is a fresh new user account and is your first installation of Eclipse for that user, best to rename/delete the ~/.eclipse folder.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Registry Directory Not Available, Mac Install Error [message #1799483 is a reply to message #1799454] Fri, 07 December 2018 14:08 Go to previous message
Nick Van Etten is currently offline Nick Van EttenFriend
Yes! That did the trick! Thanks!!!

Steps for successful install:
1. Delete .eclipse directory in new user
2. Attempt to install
3. Install fails with an error
3b. Delete the .p2 directory from new user (not sure if this affected anything)
4. The new install will have readded a .eclipse directory. In that directory, go to .eclipse/org.eclipse.oomph.p2
5. Edit the default.info file and change the first line so that it has the new user in it instead of the old
6. Attempt install again (should be successful this time)

Original default.info file contents

org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui=/Users/<old user>/.p2/pool
org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui\:agent=/Users/<new user>/.p2

Edited dafault.info file contents

org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui=/Users/<new user>/.p2/pool
org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui\:agent=/Users/<new user>/.p2

[Updated on: Fri, 07 December 2018 14:27]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Single RCP product for windows and Linux
Next Topic:Auto Complete
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:33:55 GMT 2024