|Re: stackoverflow didn't solve no projects are found to import problem [message #1799548 is a reply to message #1799388]
||Mon, 10 December 2018 04:44
| Patrick Moran
Registered: March 2018
It sounds like Ed Merks is probably right. I've been puzzled by this kind of problem before, and sometimes I've been very frustrated because I can't see into the structures that are implicit in the hidden files in a project. |
If you are using a Macintosh, there are instructions that are easy to find via search engine on how to make the invisible files visible. If you are still having trouble after you try Ed's suggestions you could start by getting clear on how the workspace you have created differs from other workspaces that have been successful.
At one time I switched over to Photon from Oxygen, since I was changing to a new Mac, and I found that to get access to projects from my previous work it was not enough to copy just a project into the new computer. I had to start by creating a new project in Oxygen in a new workspace. That resulted in a sort of prototypical workspace being present on the new computer. Evidently it contains files that succeeding workspaces must use because it did not work to simply copy an old workspace from the old computer to the new computer, open that workspace in Photon (which showed up empty in the open Photon window), and then import files by the usual method, i.e., import existing projects. When I had made a new workspace and a new project from scratch in Photon, demonstrated that the new project could be run, etc., and then copied a workspace from the old computer into the same directory the new workspace on the new computer was in, I could then use Eclipse to open the older workspace and subsequently import the old projects. That seemed to work for me, but I eventually had enough problems with the convoluted steps needed to make a third workspace, and in carrying my new work forward, that I deleted Photon and went back to Oxygen.
For me, that solution did not work out well either. I also did not want to get stuck with a project that I could not revise at some time in the future when there have been several generations more of Eclipse.
At the same time, I wanted to completely revise my GUI with the hope that I could make it shrink to fit smaller screen, and attempts to do that with an existing project resulted in situations where the code for a button or whatever became detached (in those invisible files I suppose) from the GUI button on screen. So in the end I had to begin all over again, make the new GUI, and then rather laboriously copy and revise code for all the various components. I did not keep a running account of what I was doing, so I may have forgotten to include some of my blunders.
I think it may help to get things started by making a new user space for use with your current Eclipse, then make a simple "hello world" or whatever, and be sure that you can get that done without any major hitches. Then you could try to copy the old workspace with a new name into the same directory with the new user space you just made, and perhaps you will be able to change to that renamed userspace, and then do an "import-as-project" the old projects from your previous setup. If that doesn't work you may need to rebuild by taking a minimal GUI produced by WindowMaker, reproducing the on-screen GUI elements, and then "port" by copying segment by segment the code that you had earlier written. I suggest importing a bit and then running the revised code to be sure that you don't miscopy something that will stand as a hidden error in the midst of what would be ten or twenty pages of code from your original Xyzxyz.jave file as it would be if printed out. If you make an error and Eclipse doesn't flag it, it can be hard to find if you have too much code to check over.
I hope Ed's suggestions work for you and that you won't have to go through all this mish-mash of steps.
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.04626 seconds