Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Trying to build CDT in Eclipse IDE for Eclipse Committers(Encountering problems, over 48 hours spent going in circles, current error is: Can't create a corefile)
Trying to build CDT in Eclipse IDE for Eclipse Committers [message #1798135] Tue, 13 November 2018 08:01
Matthew Sergei Perrin is currently offline Matthew Sergei PerrinFriend
Hi there,

I've been running in what seems to be circles trying to build CDT from git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git for a number of days and have spent around 48 hours going deeper into a branching rabbit hole or ants nest. I have tried multiple JDK versions, tried patching JDK to support JAXB which I abandoned, tried building only the latest CDT, tried legacy versions of everything mentioned below and the furthest I have progressed in getting a build to succeed went as follows:

My goal was to modify some behaviour of a CDT module that is implemented within Texas Instrument's Code Composer Studio, built on top of CDT 9.0.0 inside of Eclipse.

Where I'm at:
I checked out at CDT_9_0_1 and got a fresh install of Eclipse IDE for Eclipse Developers (4.9.0) 20180917-1800.
I installed the latest JDK 11.0.1 from Oracle and added it's bin directory to my path.

1. I made Eclipse IDE for Eclipse Committers run as Administrator always.
  2. I added exceptions to Eclipse to my firewall and Applocker.
  3. I installed MinGW (after failing for about 24 hours with CygWin and compiling my own GCC) with GCC 6.3.0 pre-built and added its bin directory to the path.
  4. I also did the same for Build Tools (2.11-20180428-1604) which contains echo, make, mkdir, rm, and sh for Windows and added it to the path.
  5. I also did the same for Core Utils (5.3.0) using the GnuWin32 installer and added it's bin to the path.
  6. I went to the project area and went Import->General->Existing Projects into Workspace.
  7. At this point there were ~9700 errors in the workspace and so following the guide here https://wiki.eclipse.org/Getting_started_with_CDT_development and set the target to cdt.
  8. Unfortunately 4.6milestones is no longer available even on archive so I went with cdt-baseline instead.
  9. At this point I did everything from a fresh instance, and ran git clean -f -d -x and git reset --hard on CDT_9_0_1 and ran a clean instance of Eclipse IDE for Eclipse Committers just to be sure no lingering modifications to the repository would carry over.

It successfully found everything and I think installed it, though the ~/.metadata/.log doesn't give any details of what Eclipse is doing.

At this point in time, I ran Project->Clean {All} and the Console output showed up seemingly randomly after about 25s and said that it was successful.

I then ran Project->Build All and it stops execution ending with the following output:

Buildfile: C:\Users\<user>\git\org.eclipse.cdt\dsf-gdb\org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb\TestAppBuilder.xml

makeTestApps:
[exec] mkdir -p ../bin
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/MultiThreadRunControl.exe MultiThreadRunControl.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/GDBMIGenericTestApp.exe GDBMIGenericTestApp.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/ConsoleSyncTestApp.exe ConsoleSyncTestApp.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/MultiThread.exe MultiThread.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/CatchpointTestApp.exe CatchpointTestApp.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/LaunchConfigurationAndRestartTestApp.exe LaunchConfigurationAndRestartTestApp.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/MemoryTestApp.exe MemoryTestApp.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/TargetAvail.exe TargetAvail.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/StepIntoSelectionTestApp.exe StepIntoSelectionTestApp.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/PatternMatchingExpressionsTestApp.exe PatternMatchingExpressionsTestApp.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/SourceLookup.exe SourceLookup.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/SpecialTestApp.exe SpecialTestApp.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/ExpressionTestApp.exe ExpressionTestApp.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/BreakpointTestApp.exe BreakpointTestApp.cc
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/TracepointTestApp.exe TracepointTestApp.cc
[exec] Building test executables with
[exec] g++ --version | head -1
[exec] g++ (MinGW.org GCC-6.3.0-1) 6.3.0
[exec] mkdir -p ../build
[exec] mkdir -p ../build2
[exec] cp SourceLookup.cc ../build/SourceLookup.cc
[exec] cd ../build && g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/SourceLookupAC.exe C:/Users/<user>/git/org.eclipse.cdt/dsf-gdb/org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb/data/launch/build/SourceLookup.cc
[exec] cd ../build && g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/SourceLookupDwarf2AC.exe C:/Users/<user>/git/org.eclipse.cdt/dsf-gdb/org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb/data/launch/build/SourceLookup.cc
[exec] cd ../build2 && g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/SourceLookupAN.exe C:/Users/<user>/git/org.eclipse.cdt/dsf-gdb/org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb/data/launch/build2/../build/SourceLookup.cc
[exec] cd ../build2 && g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/SourceLookupDwarf2AN.exe C:/Users/<user>/git/org.eclipse.cdt/dsf-gdb/org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.gdb/data/launch/build2/../build/SourceLookup.cc
[exec] cd ../build && g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/SourceLookupRC.exe SourceLookup.cc
[exec] cd ../build && g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/SourceLookupDwarf2RC.exe SourceLookup.cc
[exec] cd ../build2 && g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/SourceLookupRN.exe ../build/SourceLookup.cc
[exec] cd ../build2 && g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/SourceLookupDwarf2RN.exe ../build/SourceLookup.cc
[exec] rm -f ../build/SourceLookup.cc
[exec] rmdir ../build ../build2
[exec] g++ -g3 -O0 -o ../bin/SourceLookupDwarf2.exe SourceLookup.cc
[exec] gdb -nx --batch -ex 'b testLocals' -ex 'run' --ex 'next 16' \
[exec] -ex 'gcore ../bin/core' ../bin/ExpressionTestApp.exe > /dev/null
[exec] warning: cannot close "../bin/core": Invalid operation
[exec] Can't create a corefile
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 5 seconds

The build still has ~7900 errors and I don't thin it got anywhere.

I can't find any information as to where build logs are kept, or how to get the console to preserve itself (I already have capped the scroll-back buffer) rather than resetting itself every few milliseconds when a new tool provides some output.

I feel as though I've reached a point that few people encounter and googling for answers gives me 1-3 results that are unrelated now, where previously I was finding thousands.

What is going wrong at this point?
Previous Topic:Unresolved inclusion
Next Topic:Adding a static (.a) library to existing makefile project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:46:52 GMT 2024