Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse hangs when starting on Ubuntu 16.04(I have this problem with Ubuntu 16.04 and jdk 8. I tried using the latest eclipse as well as Eclipse Oxygen. I tried to add the --launcher.GTK_version to be 2. nothing works. I get the initial splash )
Eclipse hangs when starting on Ubuntu 16.04 [message #1797222] Sun, 28 October 2018 17:45 Go to next message
Robert Withers is currently offline Robert WithersFriend
down vote

I have this problem with Ubuntu 16.04 and jdk 8. I tried using the latest eclipse as well as Eclipse Oxygen. I tried to add the --launcher.GTK_version to be 2. nothing works. I get the initial splash screen then it disappears and I get a running icon onthe sidebar with a question mark in it but no widget shown. If I click on the icon with the question mark and then click enter, it goes away and the splash shows up again loading Workspace, then it happens again the splash dissappears and the icon with a question mark appears in the Ubuntu sodebar. Then I can do nothing. Eclipse is running as a process but with low CPU and I am stuck. the Eclipse IDE never appears. Why can't my system show dialogs?

On the command line running eclipse -clean I get the following:

quotar@callisto:~/eclipse$ ./eclipse -clean
org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: The org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration bundle was activated before the state location was initialized. Will retry after the state location is initialized.

I am very irritated that I cannot just run eclipse, before I had to reinstall ubuntu it was fine. Now I am stuck. :(:(:(

Thank you for any assistance!
Re: Eclipse hangs when starting on Ubuntu 16.04 [message #1797231 is a reply to message #1797222] Sun, 28 October 2018 22:24 Go to previous message
Robert Withers is currently offline Robert WithersFriend
I updated to Ubuntu 18.04 and it started working for me. Great!
Previous Topic:Installation doesnt find java
Next Topic:Custom Sashform widget not retaining its width after closing the tab
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 19:39:04 GMT 2024