Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Titan » titan.ProtocolModules.SGsAP bug / MME_Name not charstring
titan.ProtocolModules.SGsAP bug / MME_Name not charstring [message #1797129] Thu, 25 October 2018 20:20 Go to next message
Harald Welte is currently offline Harald WelteFriend

I'm not sure what's the official place to submit bugs against http://git.eclipse.org/c/titan/titan.ProtocolModules.SGsAP_13.2.0.git/

To me it seems that the MME name (and VLR name) information elements are not encoded as per spec.

TS 29.118 Section 9.4.13 is very clear abou the MME name, i.e. that it is encoded as a DNS name, with each label prefixed by the binary length of the given label.

However, the MME_Name and VLR_Name types in SGsAP_Types.ttcn are defined as "charstring".

[Updated on: Thu, 25 October 2018 20:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: titan.ProtocolModules.SGsAP bug / MME_Name not charstring [message #1797156 is a reply to message #1797129] Fri, 26 October 2018 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I've made a simple hack at https://github.com/osmocom/titan.ProtocolModules.SGsAP_13.2.0/commit/520dc48dd41ee15c9fd77e71d2ea7a05c58770b9 changing the respective fields to "octetstring". But that is ugly, as it shifts the burden of transcoding between a string representation like "mmec01.mmegi0001.mme.epc.mnc070.mcc901.3gppnetwork.org" and the dns-style "label" encoding to the user, rather than doing the full encode/decode inside the SGsAP_Types.ttcn module.
Re: titan.ProtocolModules.SGsAP bug / MME_Name not charstring [message #1797693 is a reply to message #1797156] Mon, 05 November 2018 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gábor Szalai is currently offline Gábor SzalaiFriend
Yes the charstring is definitely wrong. It should be octetstring, and a separate function is needed to encode/decode the this field.
Re: titan.ProtocolModules.SGsAP bug / MME_Name not charstring [message #1804897 is a reply to message #1797129] Wed, 03 April 2019 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Is there any news about this issue? I wrote a trivial patch/fix in October 2018, and half a year later the patch is still not in upstream.

I'm happy to push to gerrit, but it seems that this particular repository is neither listed on the eclipse gerrit, nor is it hosted on github (and hence the gerritforge.io process documented in https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1AVi3Be3qYmkYm6VEf4BnYHYa3hwpjjIM5EQc7W6LtNE/edit#slide=id.g123d3f68c6_6_16 doesn't appear work).

Side note: I may be going about this in a particularly stupid way, but I think if somebody working in and contributing to FOSS for more than 20 years like myself is not able to figure out what is the process to submit a patch, there may be room left for some improvement of the "developer experience". Please take this as constructive criticism and not as a complaint.

If there is a manual, please tell me RTFM and point me to it. Thanks!
Re: titan.ProtocolModules.SGsAP bug / MME_Name not charstring [message #1804905 is a reply to message #1804897] Wed, 03 April 2019 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
Hi Harald,

you are perfectly right, the whole contribution workflow is made unnecessarily complicated among others by the fact that the code base is split across two systems: github and eclipse git.
Unfortunately this is the best deal I could cut with Eclipse webadmins; it appears that we have too many repositories and maintaining them all in github would represent too much burden for them.

However we have put together a workflow for eclipse git contributors too:

index.php/fa/35202/0/

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/15zA7HjTlvEOshSb5W9qFQ7e4zIAU6Blk3_EV8ewYy_Y/edit#slide=id.p

Please try to fight yourself through it ; if any problems let me know; else of course we can proxy you, but I'd prefer to have the procedure followed.

If you have any suggestions how we can improve our workflows, please don't hesitate to help us improve.

Sorry I did not pay sufficient attention to this.

Thank you and best regards

Elemer

Re: titan.ProtocolModules.SGsAP bug / MME_Name not charstring [message #1804922 is a reply to message #1804905] Wed, 03 April 2019 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elemer Lelik is currently offline Elemer LelikFriend
Hi Harald,

In fact , I believe this has been discussed already in a post

Patch submission procedure for repositories on git.eclipse.org

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1092326/

:)

Best regards
Elemer
Re: titan.ProtocolModules.SGsAP bug / MME_Name not charstring [message #1804942 is a reply to message #1804922] Wed, 03 April 2019 14:24 Go to previous message

I'm familiar with Gerrit submissions on eclipse.org, and I've used it before.

However, I could swear that the SGsAP project was not listed when i searched for it on the eclipse gerrit. That's what made me write
I'm happy to push to gerrit, but it seems that this particular repository is neither listed on the eclipse gerrit
yesterday. However, when I search for it today, it shows up. So either I was too stupid to search for it, or it has been added to gerrit meanwhile :)

Either way, as usual, thanks for your assistance.
Previous Topic:Products using Titan
Next Topic:how to get previous version titan core and eclipse plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:52:07 GMT 2024