Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Which one to download? (Yes, it's probably a stupid question)(Should I download Eclipse for Linux or Windows?)
Which one to download? (Yes, it's probably a stupid question) [message #1796863] Sat, 20 October 2018 03:18 Go to next message
Tony Shelleman is currently offline Tony ShellemanFriend
Hello,

I've done a fair amount of embedded C/C++ programming for Windows applications and also for embedded MPUs like Microchip, but this is my first foray into Linux. I want to write code for a SOM (System On Module) that has Linux Yocto or Debian pre-loaded. It will most likely be on a VAR-SOM-MX6 from Variscite. How will I be doing the code for this? Will I be programming directly on the Linux SOM or will I be writing the code on my Windows PC, then transferring it somehow to the SOM? Sorry, but I've never touched Linux. If I'm writing the code on a Windows PC, then I guess I need a compiler suited for an ARM processor that will be on the SOM, is that correct? So, do I download Eclipse for Windows or Linux? Can someone please give me some guidance? Thanks in advance!

Tony the noob
Re: Which one to download? (Yes, it's probably a stupid question) [message #1796993 is a reply to message #1796863] Tue, 23 October 2018 15:59 Go to previous message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Eclipse itself does not know about the target processor. Eclipse does not contain the C/C++ compiler toolsets, but it is more a user interface front-end to the toolsets.

For developing for an external system, you can compile on the host (Windows?) or on the target system, if it is powerful enough to run the compiler and tools.

You may be a bit better off compiling on the target Linux system, as it will be less complicated to link with the shared libraries on the target.

Anyway, you need to find suitable compiler toolsets for your target.

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:Can Eclipse understand tab characters?
Next Topic:How do I get projects from my workspace?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:49:39 GMT 2024