Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Is it possible to change standard Java Editor with a plug-in
Is it possible to change standard Java Editor with a plug-in [message #1796285] Tue, 09 October 2018 14:54 Go to next message
Yurii Polianytsia is currently offline Yurii PolianytsiaFriend
Recently I've understand that for my happy Java-codding life I need some improvements for content assist. So I'm trying to figure out how can I replace Content Assist tool tip popup in standard Java Editor with custom window.
I'm completely new to eclipse plugin development so I have a few questions.
Is it possible to do with plug-in without creating custom editor? I can't find valid extension point for this task am I missed something?
Re: Is it possible to change standard Java Editor with a plug-in [message #1796462 is a reply to message #1796285] Sat, 13 October 2018 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Are you looking for http://help.eclipse.org/2018-09/topic/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv/reference/extension-points/org_eclipse_jdt_ui_javaCompletionProposalComputer.html?cp=3_1_1_27 ?
Re: Is it possible to change standard Java Editor with a plug-in [message #1796464 is a reply to message #1796462] Sat, 13 October 2018 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yurii Polianytsia is currently offline Yurii PolianytsiaFriend
Stephan Herrmann wrote on Sat, 13 October 2018 19:30
Are you looking for http://help.eclipse.org/2018-09/topic/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv/reference/extension-points/org_eclipse_jdt_ui_javaCompletionProposalComputer.html?cp=3_1_1_27 ?

I thought CompletionProposalComputer only allows to add new content to the existing content assist window. My idea is to make more advanced completion proposal window with 2 or 3 proposal lists depending on execution content.
Re: Is it possible to change standard Java Editor with a plug-in [message #1796465 is a reply to message #1796464] Sat, 13 October 2018 20:25 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Quote:
I thought CompletionProposalComputer only allows to add new content to the existing content assist window.

I'm not sure what's wrong with that, but if you want to replace the wealth of existing proposals with only your own, please see that the preferences allow to individually disable each category of proposals.

Quote:
My idea is to make more advanced completion proposal window with 2 or 3 proposal lists depending on execution content.

If you are saying you want a different UI, yes, then you need to implement something entirely new. (You're certainly aware that execution content is of course taken into consideration by current proposals).

You may also take a look at Code Recommenders, to find out to what degree completion can be modified, refined etc.
Previous Topic:"The import org cannot be resolved" Eclipse LWJGL 2
Next Topic:Eclipse to update module-info.java
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:36:25 GMT 2024