Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Using the same workspace for two different versions of Eclipse
Using the same workspace for two different versions of Eclipse [message #1795360] Thu, 20 September 2018 20:54 Go to next message
Chase McCrary is currently offline Chase McCraryFriend
I am about a month into learning how to use Eclipse. I currently have Eclipse Photon running on my personal computer and the computer I use at school runs Eclipse Oxygen (and we are not permitted to update applications). I have located my workspace in a OneDrive account so that I can easily access files at home and at school without needing to copy to a flash drive every time. Both computers have no problem connecting to this file location. The problem with running two different versions of Eclipse is that when I go to open the school-computer-created Java files on my personal computer, it recognizes that they were created in an old version of Eclipse and asks for permission to update them, without an option to run the workspace without updating the files. After updating, it causes those files to be incompatible with the older version on my school computer. Is there a possible way that I am missing where I can keep each of the Eclipse applications on their own versions or would I need to downgrade my personal computer's version to Oxygen?
Re: Using the same workspace for two different versions of Eclipse [message #1795719 is a reply to message #1795360] Thu, 27 September 2018 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hardik Doshi is currently offline Hardik DoshiFriend
HI Chase,

You can try with downgrading your personal computer's Eclipse version to Oxygen.

May be it will solve your problem.
Re: Using the same workspace for two different versions of Eclipse [message #1796146 is a reply to message #1795719] Sat, 06 October 2018 06:57 Go to previous message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
I have experienced difficulty in moving projects from Oxygen on one computer to Photon on another computer. Photon will not accept projects unless I copy the entire workspace with the desired projects in it, and keep it always for use with that project made by Oxygen.

Maybe it makes a difference where the folder for your projects exists. If the folder existed on your university computer's HD and you tried to copy just the project on a thumb drive and then put it in a folder on your computer running photon, maybe it would do what my computer is doing. If there isn't something really weird going on, photon should be able to run oxygen projects *provided* that they are kept in copies of your original workspace.

I could ftp my files and folders back and forth between my university account and my home computer. I think once you get it set up it isn't any bother at all. The only overhead is waiting for the transfer application to boot up. But you may not have the correct/sufficient privilege to do this.

At my lowly level I can't tell any difference between oxygen and photon anyway, so if you can scrub photon off your home computer and reinstall oxygen, then that may be the right way to gp.
Previous Topic:Start up error
Next Topic:Arabic Font In Export to PDF on Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:59:10 GMT 2024