Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » JVM.dll ignores -Xss argument(Running an application that requires 2m stack size at initialization fails to start properly even if -Xss2m is set.)
JVM.dll ignores -Xss argument [message #1794731] Wed, 05 September 2018 16:46 Go to next message
István Ratkovszki is currently offline István RatkovszkiFriend
I am developing an RCP application, that requires 2m stack to load its EMF metamodels at initialization time, so in the eclipse.ini the vmargs has the -Xss2m.

The used platform is Eclipse 4.7.1. To run the application we use JRE 1.8.0.172.

When the eclipse.ini specify the path to the JRE's javaw.exe, the application starts up without any problems, however when it does not (the used file is the server/jvm.dll) or the jvm.dll path is the specified in the file, the application crashes with StackOverflowException.

I cannot figure out why this happen, but it seems that the stack size does not change if i change the Xss argument, it stays the default value. The same happens if i run from command line, also if the application is run from the Eclipse IDE without defining the max stack size.

I analyzed the behavior of the product with both jvm.dll and javaw.exe with yourkit, and did not experienced any difference, except the stack overflow.
Re: JVM.dll ignores -Xss argument [message #1807925 is a reply to message #1794731] Wed, 12 June 2019 12:58 Go to previous message
István Ratkovszki is currently offline István RatkovszkiFriend
Hello everyone!

We figured out the problem. In case the eclipse is started using the dll, the Windows defines the main thread's stack size according to the eclipse.exe, which is by default is 1Mb, and is not affected by the Xss setting.

In the other cases, the thread size is specified to be the Xss size. The solution that we chose was to patch the eclipse.exe file to require larger stack by default.

Hope this will help someone. :)
Previous Topic:Conditional Breakpoint sometimes skipped in Spring Batch project ?
Next Topic:Unreasonable matches for pattern search
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:16:26 GMT 2024