Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Slow Eclipse. How to identify the source of the issue?
Slow Eclipse. How to identify the source of the issue? [message #1794149] Fri, 24 August 2018 12:26 Go to next message
Mercury Snow is currently offline Mercury SnowFriend
I've been using Photon a couple of weeks now. It seemed OK at first, but now everything is extremely slow.
If I want to copy a word, I'll double click the word, and wait a couple of seconds to see Eclipse highlight the word.
It feels like Eclipse continuously compiling causing a few seconds delay constantly.
I updated eclipse.ini and set -Xmx2g, but still no difference.

So I don't see huge outcry about this issue, this must be my local environment only. I could reinstall Eclipse and maybe the issue will disappear. But I'm curious what other people do to identify any Eclipse IDE problem like this one.

Thank you
Re: Slow Eclipse. How to identify the source of the issue? [message #1794171 is a reply to message #1794149] Sat, 25 August 2018 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The Error Reporting tool helps to identify UI freezes (among other things). Do you have that configured in Window -> Preferences... -> General -> Error Reporting? If the UI thread freezes for more than a second, I think the Error Log should have logged problems with the stack traces that sample what all the threads are doing during the time the freeze occurs. Have you restarted the IDE to see if this problem is one that starts to occur only have the IDE has been running for a long time?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Slow Eclipse. How to identify the source of the issue? [message #1794176 is a reply to message #1794171] Sat, 25 August 2018 22:18 Go to previous message
Mercury Snow is currently offline Mercury SnowFriend
For the slowness issue I'm having, it seems OK after restarting Eclipse. But it became slower soon. I haven't measured the time it took, but it probably slows down after using an hour or so. So it's not I left the IDE for overnight and start having the issue.

But I didn't know about the error log. Let me run for a while and see if I can fix any of errors.

Thank You.
Previous Topic:Hello everyone! quick question
Next Topic:Error: Could not find or load main class
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:59:39 GMT 2024