Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Papyrus at the Open Group Beijing event Aug. 22!
Papyrus at the Open Group Beijing event Aug. 22! [message #1793478] Thu, 09 August 2018 01:03 Go to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
I have been invited to run a half-day workshop in Beijing about HP Inc. 's use of enterprise architecture to improve project execution. The workshop will describe how we use UML to develop conceptual and logical level blueprints, consistent with the TOGAF-ADM methodology.

Organizers asked me to include live demo and basic tool training, and approved my recommendation to use Papyrus since it is open source (at work I use Sparx, but I use Papyrus to teach at local university).

If anyone is in town on Aug. 22 you are welcome to join us! More info here (use Google translate):

http://www.opengroup.org.cn/event/shuzihuashidaiqiyebiangeyurencaizhuanxing

(All written material will be in English but I will present in Mandarin)
Re: Papyrus at the Open Group Beijing event Aug. 22! [message #1794198 is a reply to message #1793478] Mon, 27 August 2018 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ansgar Radermacher is currently offline Ansgar RadermacherFriend
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the initiative and recommendation to use Papyrus!
Can you please report how the tool training was performed out what the feedback was?
Re: Papyrus at the Open Group Beijing event Aug. 22! [message #1794329 is a reply to message #1794198] Wed, 29 August 2018 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
Hello Ansgar

The training was a 3-hour lecture on UML applications for enterprise architecture followed by a 2-hour hands-on demo of development of conceptual blueprint using Papyrus.

This training was a very compressed synthesis of a 50-hour graduate course I teach at local university in Taiwan (also using Papyrus).

In the training I show a few key points:
- UML is extremely effective for architecture development at conceptual and logical level (most students know that UML is used for software engineering at physical level but had no idea that it's even better/easier/faster at conceptual and logical level.
- In my demo I show that UML is at least equal if not superior to Archimate standard. (I know that Archimate community is working with OMG to define a UML profile for Archimate but I think there are issues in Archimate metamodel that will need resolving)
- Papyrus is by far the best open source UML tool and very well suited for learning UML and small trial projects. I demoed workspace management, package management, model import/export, stylesheet creation, creating reports with tables, and conceptual level model development (use case -> sequence diagram -> class diagram -> component diagram with round trip verification and fine tuning. Following TOGAF standard artifact definitions)

Feedback was exceptional, more than 40 people from Chinese banking/finance and airline industry attended and several actually downloaded Papyrus during the workshop and tried the hands-on demo on the spot.

I think these people will spread the word and raise China awareness of Papyrus! I told them that Papyrus supports double byte (important for them to display Chinese characters)

More information here:

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6438047040285995009

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/zP013YmSuZrS69BD6kLbMA

Cheers

Richard
Re: Papyrus at the Open Group Beijing event Aug. 22! [message #1794417 is a reply to message #1794329] Thu, 30 August 2018 11:41 Go to previous message
Ansgar Radermacher is currently offline Ansgar RadermacherFriend
Hi Richard,

thanks for the feedback! It's good to hear that Papyrus might get some new users in China ...

Cheers

Ansgar
Previous Topic:Profile extension
Next Topic:[Sequence Diagram] Cannot move Messages beneath CombinedFragment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:26:10 GMT 2024