Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Can't set breakpoints in Spring after upgrade to Photon
Can't set breakpoints in Spring after upgrade to Photon [message #1792841] Tue, 24 July 2018 23:23 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I believe I lost some functionality when I upgraded from Oxygen to Photon. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure I was able to do this before.

I'm finding curious behavior with debugging in Eclipse with Spring classes. The fact that it's Spring likely has nothing to do with it.

I can open a Spring class that will be executed by my Spring Boot application. I have the "Enhanced Class Decompiler" plugin installed, so it shows the decompiled class file, which is generally good enough for me. The Maven artifact does have a source attachment, so the source code is available. I don't know what if anything that would be an issue with.

In Oxygen, when I'm viewing a decompiled class file, I can set breakpoints, although for some reason double-clicking in the margin didn't work (which works in my own source files), I had to right-click and select the "Toggle Breakpoint" option. At least in Oxygen, that would result in a set breakpoint.

Now in Photon, it seems like that doesn't do anything, or it's inconsistent. I was able to hack around this to get to step into the line of code I needed, but it was a bit of an annoyance.
Re: Can't set breakpoints in Spring after upgrade to Photon [message #1792846 is a reply to message #1792841] Wed, 25 July 2018 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sarika Sinha is currently offline Sarika SinhaFriend
There was no drop of functionalities from Eclipse Debugging components.
There is a possibility of some interaction problem with "Enhanced Class Decompiler" Plugin and Eclipse Photon.

Sarika Sinha
JDT Programmer
Re: Can't set breakpoints in Spring after upgrade to Photon [message #1792849 is a reply to message #1792846] Wed, 25 July 2018 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I have certainly seen similar things and I don't use Spring. However I wasn't certain whether it was just my usual ability to make things not work.

I did pin one problem down to a malfunction in the Type Hierarchy if any *.class file was open in an editor [1]. However the fix was too late to be applied generically so the aborted analysis problem may appear in other places.

I have also noticed that setting breakpoints in the region with a greyed region on the left hand annotation bar is very suspect. I have eventually concluded that this is a region subject to incremental compilation for which there is clearly a breakpoint bug. The Eclipse Debugger has a very simple but effective line breakpoint that just checks for line number equality; the debugger's understanding of what is a countable line clearly differs from the user's. Sometimes there is a breakpoint although no marker is visible, and sometimes vice-versa.

Regards

Ed Willink

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=486979

Re: Can't set breakpoints in Spring after upgrade to Photon [message #1792918 is a reply to message #1792849] Wed, 25 July 2018 17:58 Go to previous message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
And in fact, the second issue in the ECD github project refers to exactly this problem: https://github.com/ecd-plugin/ecd/issues/44 .
Previous Topic:Resolution of test classes failing when the dependency they originate is Java 9/10 module ?
Next Topic:Asked to accept Unsigned Content?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:43:46 GMT 2024